What's on at Saffron Screen for the Christmas break
- Credit: ROYAL OPERA HOUSE / SAFFRON SCREEN
Looking for some entertainment over the Christmas period? Saffron Screen in Saffron Walden has a range of options over the break.
Daphne Du Maurier’s classic novel Rebecca (12A) is screened on Sunday (Dec 27) at 2.30pm. Maxim de Winter (Armie Hammer) returns home to his country estate of Manderley with his new bride (Lily James) - but she struggles because of the atmosphere left by the first Mrs de Winter, the Rebecca of the title who has died, and the housekeeper Mrs Danvers (Kristin Scott Thomas).
Ma Rainey's Black Bottom (Sunday at 7.30pm, repeats Tuesday Dec 29 at 7.30pm) is about blues singer Ma Rainey and her band in 1920s Chicago. The cast includes Viola Davis and Chadwick Boseman.
Two children journey into magical adventures in Come Away (U), a fairytale combining Peter Pan and Alice in Wonderland. This screens on Monday (Dec 28) at 2.30pm, and Tuesday (Dec 29) at 2.30pm. The second screening is subtitled for the hard of hearing.
Cocoon (15) on Monday (Dec 28) at 7.30pm is a coming-of-age film set in Berlin about female adolescence. It's on at Saffron Screen on Monday (Dec 28) at 7.30pm.
You may also want to watch:
Family film Paddington (PG) is on Wednesday, December 30 at 2.30pm.
Stevie Nicks 24 Karat Gold The Concert brings music to the big screen on Wednesday, December 30 at 7.30pm. The concert was recorded over two nights, and the set list should keep fans happy.
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Flexi parking ticket rolled out for hybrid commuters
- 3 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 4 Hatfield Heath air disaster memorial 'a symbol of UK-US unity'
- 5 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 6 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 7 Moth night celebrates Dunmow's autumn biodiversity
- 8 Saffron Walden actress Tamara Lee Smart to star as Marilyn Monroe for one night in rehearsed play reading
- 9 Cash boost for plan to plant 350,000 trees in Essex
- 10 Thaxted Gardening and Craft Show winners revealed
Also coming up are The Royal Ballet's The Nutcracker (Thursday December 31 at 2.30pm) and Billie (15) a documentary about Billie Holiday (Friday January 1, 2021).
Not for profit community cinema Saffron Screen has Covid-19 safety measures in place. These include temperature checks for all customers, staff and volunteers, reduced capacity in the auditorium, and regular cleaning.
Tickets are available in advance only. Call 01799 500238 between Monday and Saturday, 9.30am to 5pm. There is an answering machine at other times. You can also get your ticket through the Tourist Information Centre on 01799 524002 or online at www.saffronscreen.com where the choices including prices are also available.