How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
The Queen's Platinum Jubilee celebrations are set to be big, and here's how to enjoy the festivities in Essex...
1. Festival of the Sea, Harwich
As part of the Festival of Suffolk and to celebrate the Jubilee, a series of events will be held this summer including a celebration of the sea. On Saturday June 18, it comes to Essex, with a Parade of Boats between Harwich, Shotley and Felixstowe.
Date: June 18
Address: The fleet will assemble near the Ganges Buoy at Shotley Spit
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 4 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 5 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 6 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 7 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 8 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 9 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 10 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
2. Prittlewell Priory, Southend-on-Sea
Visit the historic Prittlewell Priory to commemorate the Queen’s 70-year reign. Cream teas will be available for £9, including scones, clotted cream, jam, strawberries, and of course, a cup of tea. There will be craft activities to keep the little ones entertained. Bookings are required and you can do so on eventbrite.com.
Date: June 2
Address: Southend-on-Sea, Priory Lodge, Victoria Avenue, SS2 6NB
3. Fingringhoe Platinum Jubilee Fete & Dog Show
The village of Fingringhoe will be going all out to mark this special occasion, with a dog show, farmers’ market, petting farm, craft fair, games, barbecue and Pimm’s available at The Whalebone Inn. The beacon on Ferry Road will be lit at 9.45pm.
Date: June 2
Address: Fingringhoe Recreation Ground, CO5 7BQ
4. Colne Engaine Festival
This big community celebration of the Jubilee will involve two free family fun days and three ticketed evening events: a quiz, party night with the Funk Soul Lovers and a family country dance and hog roast.
Date: June 2-5
Time: Thursday 7-11pm; Friday 7pm-11pm; Saturday 12pm-11.30pm; Sunday 12pm-5pm
Cost: Evening events from £9
Address: Colne Engaine Recreation Ground, 1 Station Road, CO6 2ES
5. Coggeshall Summer Festival
Festival-goers will be able to soak up the atmosphere with live music and entertainment, an RAF Spitfire fly-past, beer tent and cocktail bar, classic cars, games, stalls and an outdoor cinema screening the Jubilee concert live from Buckingham Palace.
Date: June 4
Address: Coggeshall Recreation Ground, CO6 1UA
6. Play: The Audience, Grays
Thurrock Courts Players are returning to the Thameside Theatre with their production of The Audience, by creator of The Crown Peter Morgan. Be a fly on the wall during the Queen’s private audiences with her prime ministers, from Churchill to Cameron.
Date: June 9-11
Time: 7.45pm; Saturday matinee 3.45pm
Address: Thameside Theatre, Orsett Road, Grays, RM17 5DX
7. Ingatestone Jubilee Community Picnic
With a swing band, ice-cream, cream teas and giant garden games, the Ingatestone Community Picnic, should be a great family day out. Children can try their luck with a treasure hunt and a football competition and bounce themselves silly in an inflatable fun area. The parish council will also plant a commemorative tree as part of the Queen's Green Canopy.
Date: June 5
Time: From 2pm
Address: Seymour Pavilion, New Road, Ingatestone, CM4 0BE
8. Jubilee Flower Festival and Exhibition of Rochford Heritage Tapestries, Great Wakering
St Nicholas Church plays host to a flower festival marking the Queen's 70 year reign. Rochford heritage tapestries and pother royal memorabilia will also be on display and a there will be a programme of music and light refreshments will be available as well.
Date: June 4-12
Address: St Nicholas' Church 2 New Road, Great Wakering, Southend-on-Sea SS3 0AH
For more Platinum Jubilee events visit platinumjubilee.gov.uk.