Video and pictures: Thaxted Moorcroft event draws the crowds
- Credit: Celia Bartlett
A special event at Thaxted Guildhall has been held to mark the 150th anniversary of the birth of William Moorcroft.
Moorcroft Chairman Hugh Edwards, a Thaxted resident, gave a talk.
There was a rare exhibition of original pottery designed by William Moorcroft. Historic pieces and newly launched 2022 designs were also on display.
Staffordshire-based Moorcroft, England's oldest surviving Arts and Crafts pottery, is controlled by Saffron Walden and Thaxted residents.
Sales of Moorcroft pieces have attracted national and international customers to Thaxted and Walden, and Moorcroft money has supported Thaxted church.
William Moorcroft designed and launched the first pieces of his fine art pottery in 1897. At that time he was employed at James Macintyre & Co.
In 1913 he moved production to the Sandbach Road factory under the name W Moorcroft Ltd.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 9 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 10 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support