Essex restaurant named in top 100 at British Curry Awards
JALSA Ghar has been named as the top Indian restaurant in Essex.
The Great Dunmow restaurant was shortlisted for the top 100 in the UK and top 20 from the East of England but they were the only Indian from Essex to feature on the night.
Owner Zia Chowdhury said: “There are some great restaurants in Essex so to be the only one in the county is an achievement beyond recognition.”
Mr Chowdhury and Omar Shorif attended the event on November 21 at Grosvenor House in London.
“We had a fantastic evening at Grosvenor House; I am in honour to those who nominated us,” added Mr Chowdhury.
Having opened the restaurant 12 years ago, Jalsa Ghar has now been to the British Curry Awards for three years running. Last year they achieved a four-star status but this year they have topped that with five.
Mr Chowdhury said: “It shows we are getting better, when I started the restaurant I didn’t think I would ever be nominated let alone make the top 100.
- 1 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 2 Assault in Dunmow's Tesco car park
- 3 Plans for 18 houses in Countryside Protection Zone near Stansted Airport
- 4 Sir Tom Jones to play Heritage Live concert at Audley End House & Gardens in Saffron Walden
- 5 Court imposes five year ban on shoplifter
- 6 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 7 Great Dunmow Town Council will be asked to declare 'climate emergency'
- 8 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 9 Campaigners quiz council over its Wethersfield prisons letters
- 10 In pictures: the cute animals in January's Pets' Corner
“This has been a team effort, not just one individual. I would like to thank the customers and the community for this achievement.”