Essex restaurant named in top 100 at British Curry Awards
JALSA Ghar has been named as the top Indian restaurant in Essex.
The Great Dunmow restaurant was shortlisted for the top 100 in the UK and top 20 from the East of England but they were the only Indian from Essex to feature on the night.
Owner Zia Chowdhury said: “There are some great restaurants in Essex so to be the only one in the county is an achievement beyond recognition.”
Mr Chowdhury and Omar Shorif attended the event on November 21 at Grosvenor House in London.
“We had a fantastic evening at Grosvenor House; I am in honour to those who nominated us,” added Mr Chowdhury.
Having opened the restaurant 12 years ago, Jalsa Ghar has now been to the British Curry Awards for three years running. Last year they achieved a four-star status but this year they have topped that with five.
Mr Chowdhury said: “It shows we are getting better, when I started the restaurant I didn’t think I would ever be nominated let alone make the top 100.
- 1 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 2 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 3 School activities and sports in pictures
- 4 Hot cyclists reach Paris after 3 days of pedalling
- 5 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 6 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 7 Suspense thriller is author's fourth novel
- 8 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 9 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 10 Solar farm application decision is deferred
“This has been a team effort, not just one individual. I would like to thank the customers and the community for this achievement.”