Dunmow’s Easton Lodge open day right on target
- Credit: Archant
The medieval English art of archery is on offer to all the family in the gardens of Easton Lodge later this month.
“It’s traditional long-bow archery, but both children and adults can get involved”, said trust administrator, Helen Carter.
Now Strike Archery will be giving demonstrations as well as taster sessions for £3, giving visitors a taste of the once-vital military weaponry.
The Gardens of Easton Lodge were neglected for around four decades from 1950, but have enjoyed a blooming renaissance since restoration began in 1993 to return them to their former Edwardian glory.
Guided tours of the Italianate-style garden will be given at 1pm and 3pm around some of the 23 acres. Home to the Countess of Warwick, mistress of Edward VII who commissioned designer Harold Peto to design the grounds, the sunken Italian Garden will be open to over 16s for the first time in several months.
You may also want to watch:
Now Strike Archery will also be putting on a charity archery event on October 12, to take place at the gardens. It’s in aid of the Canine Partners, which helps people with disabilities in their every-day lives.
Bacon rolls and other refreshments will be on offer until 2pm. The gardens are open from 11.30am–5pm, with last entry at 4pm. The open day costs £3.50 for adults and children go free.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
- 9 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 10 Numbers seeking support double - can you help Uttlesford foodbank?
For further information call 01371 876979, e-mail email@example.com or visit eastonlodge.co.uk.