Dunmow Carnival this year is set to be the “biggest and best” in Essex
- Credit: Archant
The carnival is back in Dunmow for another year of fireworks, music, and parades next weekend (Saturday, September 17).
This free event starts at midday, when The Recreation Ground opens.
At 1pm the procession sets off from the Angel and Harp pub, winding from Market Place down the High Street, then down Braintree Road and up St Edmunds Lane, before finishing where it started.
From 2.15-4.40pm, schools, dance classes, theatre groups, martial art clubs will be giving it their all to showcase their talent and make sure everyone has a good time.
Featured performances include Shake and Shuffle dance and fitness class, Marcelle School of Dancing, St Mary’s Primary School, Great Dunmow Primary School, Scene II Theatre School, Fusion Dance Company and Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club.
The Town Crier will also introduce the carnival court and all the visiting carnival queens.
In the evening a free concert starts, kicking off with the Helena Romanes Band and a Justin Bieber tribute, and moving onto internationally renowned pop-classical crossover Silken Strings and Dunmow-based cover band Autumn Stone.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 8 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
Then a firework display will light up the sky, leaving just enough time for Uncle Funk and The Boogie Wonderband – finishing off with nostalgic 1970s’ classic and jazzy outfits to match.
There will also be a circus, a licenced bar, and stalls throughout the day.
Keith Wheatcroft, chairman for The Procession Committee, said: “We are hoping to get 50 to 60 floats, and it should be an excellent event.
“In my mind, not being biased, because we go to lots of carnivals around the area, I think that Dunmow’s carnival is the biggest and best in Essex.”
He has also appealed for any new volunteers to join the committee, as they are becoming quite depleted – interested people should call him on 01371 875300.
Order of events:
12pm The Recreation Ground opens
1pm The Procession starts from the Angel and Harp
2pm Shake & Shuffle performance
2.15pm Marcelle School of Dancing
2.30pm Dunmow Majorettes show
2.45pm The Town Crier introduces the Mayor of Great Dunmow, our carnival court and the visiting carnival queens to the town
3.05pm Children from St Mary’s Primary School performance
3.20pm Children at Great Dunmow Primary School
3.35pm Scene II Theatre School
3.50pm Rock Choir
4.20pm Dunmow Kyokushinkai Karate Club display
4.45pm Fusion Dance Company
4.55pm Helena Romanes Band
5.15pm Blue Light Taxii
5.45pm Justin Bieber tribute
6.15pm Silken Strings
7pm Autumn Stone
8pm Fireworks display
8.15pm Pete Sparks party DJ Set
8.30pm Uncle Funk & the Boogie Wonderband