Chelmsford searches for its comedian of the year
- Credit: Archant
The often-contentious Chelmsford Comedian of the Year competition is due to return to The Bassment, Chelmsford on May 22 in a night that celebrates local talent whilst raising money for the Helen Rollason Cancer Charity.
Sixteen contestants will have just five minutes each to wow the judges and audience in their bid to win the coveted trophy, and a paid spot at a top local comeday club, as well as £100 in cash.
There will be a judging panel as well as a “laugh-o-meter” which allows the audience to cast their own vote by measuring the volume and enthusiasm of their response to each act.
Contestants don’t need any prior experience: just five minutes of hilarious material and an Essex postcode. Entry is open via comedyshowcase.co.uk.
Last year’s winner, Scottish pun-slinger Leo Kearse has since gone on to big things. After a successful Edinburgh Festival, Leo has taken his solo show around the world as well as making a huge impression on the UK circuit.
You may also want to watch:
Early-bird tickets are available from the website or by calling 01245 358480, for £5 with all profits donated to Helen Rollason Cancer Charity. The charity aims to provide better emotional support for cancer patients.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Community trees and bulbs to help tackle climate change
- 5 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 New chemotherapy centre at Broomfield Hospital is 'fantastic'
- 8 Saffron Screen's new Sunday night film season is For All The Brave Women
- 9 County councillor: Roads and drains progress being made in the Dunmow area
- 10 Katie Price alleged assault: 32-year-old man re-bailed