A feast of fun and plenty of games in store at Great Dunmow Town Carnival
- Credit: Archant
This year’s Great Dunmow Carnival takes place on September 21 and organisers have promised a fantastic day for all the family.
Vistors to this year's event can enjoy a traditional procession, show-ground events, a variety of stalls, delicious food and drink, an evening concert and fireworks, with the event running from noon to 10pm.
The carnival, which was launched in 1951, gets bigger and better every year and takes place once again on the Great Dunmow Recreation Ground.
The theme of this year's carnival is magic and mystic creatures, and the day will be sure to enchant young and old alike.
The venue will open at midday, kicking off with a carnival procession leaving the recreation ground at 1pm from the Angel and Harp entrance. The procession will make its way through the town centre before returning to the recreation ground. Plenty of local groups and clubs will perform during the day, including a steel band, a majorettes troupe, dancers and a karate club, who will demonstrate their fighting skills by breaking building blocks with their bare hands and feet. Spectators can also enjoy a strongman competition and learn how to juggle with circus act Rhythm and Balls. Whilst enjoying the entertainment, vistors can refuel with something to eat from the barbecue or something cold from the bar.
You may also want to watch:
At 3pm, the town crier will introduce the mayor of Great Dunmow, Emma Marcus, and the carnival queens, who led the procession.
Once the daytime performers finish, the evening concert will begin with a set from DJ Paul Hutchinson. Guests are invited to enjoy a drink or two and party the evening away to the fabulous entertainment, live on the recreation ground.
- 1 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 2 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 3 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 4 High Easter claim Division Two title with win over Great Bradfords
- 5 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
- 6 Concerns that Covid lockdowns has caused fitness levels to drop
- 7 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 8 Local elections 2021: UDC ward results for Newport and The Sampfords
- 9 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 10 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
Acts scheduled to perform on the night are the JJars, a George Ezra tribute act and the Filthy Lounge Band. A dazzling display of fireworks display will also light up the sky during the evening.
Entry to the carnival is free and each year the carnival committee carries out a collection on the day to raise money for local causes and charities.
This year the committee has chosen to support Uttlesford Community Travel, Dementia Adventure and Action for Family Carers.
To find out more about the carnival celebrations, log on to https://www.dunmowcarnival.com or search Great Dunmow Carnival on Facebook.