Youth football round up

Youth football round up. Send in your reports. E-mail

Youth Football


Flitch Youth 4

Galleywood Youth Falcons 0

IN WINDY conditions Flitch started brightly despite a new formation that saw several players taking up new positions.

Jacob Morgan was instrumental in many of his sides best early moves. He also set up the first with a teasing corner that found Sam Barnes who rifled home.

Most Read

It wasn’t long before they grabbed a second goal and it was Morgan, once again, that had a major hand. A swirling corner fell sweetly to Barnes who reacted fastest and turned the ball into the net.

Barnes completed his hat trick in typical terrier-like fashion. A forward run crowned by a blast into the bottom right-hand corner.

Ben Lye compeleted the first half rout with a well taken finish at the back post. Despite Galleywood rallying in the second half the score remained 4-0 and Flitch took maximum points.


Galleywood United 1

Dunmow Rhodes 6

FOLLOWING last weeks disappointing game, goalkeeper Wood captained the away side. Forward Williamson opened the score with a super strike into the top corner. Minutes later Johnston received the ball from Flynn and smashed home from a seemingly impossible angle.

Galleywood fought on with some crunching tackles but Rhodes playing as a tight unit were too strong, Manley played the ball back to Maddock who scored through the tiniest of gaps with a very powerful strike.

Frost then netted with pin point accuracy having swerved past several players. Gilbert having played in defence was then moved up front and bagged two. Galleywood got a consolation goal following a good corner kick but Rhodes played as a unit with skilful passing and tackling.


Hannakins Farm Eagles 4

Flitch Youth 1

FLITCH paid the price for early lapses of concentration in what was otherwise a hotly contested cup game.

In very blustery conditions, Flitch quickly conceded two goals to their higher division hosts, but for the remainder of the first half were solid defensively, with Alexander and Cottrell resolute in defence.

The second half saw much more possession for Flitch, who immediately looked more threatening going forwards. After several good chances, the pressure paid off when Matthews swept home Callaghan’s cross following a short corner.

Flitch then had several good chances to equalise, but the Eagles keeper kept them at bay and two late goals for the hosts gave the final score a slightly flattering 4-1 tally.

Dunmow Rhodes 3

Aztec Youth 0

RHODES produced a fine overall performance to win this 4th round cup tie.

On a blustery day the home side kept the ball on the ground and shaded the opening exchanges with Evans and Murphy going close.

Ten minutes before the interval they took the lead. Dicker played an accurate pass from defence to Carter on the left. The winger exchanged passes with Murphy before sprinting to the line and crossing for Frost to fire home.

The Dagenham side responded well and had their best spell of the match but Johnson held onto a dangerous shot that was dipping under the bar and then came off his line to make a fine save at the feet of the opposing striker.

Three minutes into the second half Leaning doubled the lead when he alertly forced home a loose ball after the keeper parried Turners header.

With five minutes left Dunmow scored a decisive third. Soutar threaded the ball through to Carter who showed great composure to draw the keeper before squaring to the tireless Leaning to fire home.


Dunmow Rhodes 2

Brentwood Athletic A 1

WITH a squad carrying various injuries Dunmow still progressed through to the quarter finals of the Chelmsford league knockout cup.

This was a game that on paper suggested a comfortable home win, however the visitors had other ideas and set their stall out to stop the hosts playing their usual pass and move game.

They caught Rhodes on the break in the 22nd minute and took the lead with a fine finish. In the second half Rhodes dominated play but were again continually frustrated by the resolute Brentwood defence until the 49th minute when Fidge and Mann combined well to set up Sutton who finished at the second attempt.

The home team continued to press and the tie looked destined for extra time, but with three minutes to go Gould pounced on a loose ball in midfield and quickly passed to Wells who out of nothing smashed a bullet right foot shot from 25 yards out into the top left hand corner to give Rhodes the win.