Youth football: Dunmow Rhodes Lions win first silverware of the season
- Credit: Archant
Miles Thorpe scored the only goal of the game as Dunmow Rhodes won their first silverware of the season.
The first half saw both teams working hard to control the game on a difficult pitch at Witham Town Football Club, and in poor weather conditions.
Rhodes created some half chances but it was the more physical Uplands team that started to dominate. Lewis Farmer, Joe Sutton, Ryan Clancy and James Claydon were all magnificent in defence but it was Joe Beavis in goal who produced three fantastic saves to keep the scores level at half time.
Rhodes took charge of the second half.
Scott Williamson, Louis Leaning, Sam Purcell and Ben Roberts started to win more of the possession in midfield. Their distribution of the ball was excellent releasing Dylan Bennett and Josh Valks down either wing who crossing caused trouble for the Uplands defence.
You may also want to watch:
The winning goal came within the final eight minutes. Bowen hit defence-splitting pass to Thorpe whose pace took him away from the Uplands defence and fired into the bottom corner.
- 1 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
- 2 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 3 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 4 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 5 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 6 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 7 Burglars break into Co-op store
- 8 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 9 New intake of junior doctors at Broomfield Hospital
- 10 In pictures: Record numbers enter Stansted in Bloom