Youth football

Youth football round up. Send in yours. E-mail


Dunmow United Hawks 7

Dunmow Rhodes 2

SINCE the winter cancellations the Hawks have been trying to put their hard work in training onto the pitch for match day.

This was the game when it came together. It was however Rhodes who took the early lead in the first five minutes putting United immediately on the back foot.

However the hard work and some great teamwork led a continued period of pressure on the Rhodes goal and it wasn’t long before the Hawks were back in the game with two goals from Daniel Matthews on the left side of midfield.

Most Read

Having gone in at half time 2-1 up, the Hawks maintained the momentum against a hard working Rhodes side.

This industry paid off with a low shot from the Rhodes left finding its way into the back of the Hawks net, 2-2.

Strikes came from George Haddon and Harry Warnes who completed his hat trick and with six goals and an own goal and the Hawks were cruising.

Thaxted Rangers Blues 0

Rayne Youth 2

THAXTED started the game very strongly and kept the momentum going for the whole game. Edward Wilson rattled the crossbar, Mason Allington hit the post twice and Thaxted forced corner after corner.

The home side saw two headers go just wide and the Rayne keeper was in excellent form to make save after save, but it was Rayne on the break who scored the first with a very well taken goal.

The second half saw the same excitement but the home side couldn’t get that equalising goal, Toby Fletcher, Thaxted’s Man of the Match, came close, Joe Osborn and Samuel Skinner created chances, even Thaxted’s defenders, Angus Gemmill and Chris Donlon, came close.

Ellis Sidders was great in midfield and it took a deflected free kick, which left Felix Robarts with no chance, for Rayne to make it 2-0.

Meadow Youth Lions 2

Flitch Youth 1

FLITCH’S five game unbeaten run came to an abrupt end against mid-table Meadow. From the kick-off Flitch looked a little below par and within minutes found themselves a goal behind following an uncharacteristic defensive mix-up.

More trouble was to come but James Mitchell pulled off a fine finger-tip save to keep Flitch in the game with less than half of the first half complete.

With the Lions enjoying control of midfield it wasn’t long before their territorial advantage brought them a second goal. Now facing a two goal deficit Flitch were sparked into life by an inspired and determined run from defence by Sam Barnes.

The Lions keeper needed two attempts to gather a long range effort from Ben and Jak had another effort that briefly threatened to bring Flitch back into the game.

A third Lions goal now would surely end the contest and on the stroke of half time James was alert enough to punch away a clever corner kick that tried to sneak inside the near post.

With time running out in the second half Jak found Jacob on the edge of the box and with a clinical finish Jacob grabbed his seventh goal of the season and gave Flitch a glimmer of hope.

Edward had a half chance to draw Flitch level but his shot flashed wide when a ‘poacher at the far post’ may have been able to turn the ball home.

With the final whistle Flitch’s impressive mid-season form was ended. But the best teams respond positively to these kind of set-backs. Next Sunday cannot come quick enough.


Chelmsford City Blues 4

Dunmow Rhodes 2

A LACKLUSTRE performance by Rhodes was severely punished by a hungry Blues. A non existent midfield and defence in disarray allowed Blues to open the score. Rhodes came back with Manely slotting home two in quick succession. Rhodes had the greater chances but the finish was poor, Currie constantly playing the ball forward was left unrewarded for his efforts. Blues scored a couple of cracking goals again through mid field and non cohesive defence with other players watching the game, to establish an unassailable and deserved victory. Rhodes back to full strength need to concentrate on strategy and team work.

Great Bardfield 2

Plantation 2

PLANTATION produced a good performance against high flying Bardfield recording a 2-2 draw.

After going in front through Oliver early on the game was end to end with many chances being created.

The home team stormed back to lead 2-1 and it took a good effort from the boys to make it 2-2 with Oliver’s second goal.

Stand-in coach Gary Clarke said afterwards “With Duncan and Mike away on a scouting mission in Brussels, I was always going to struggle motivating the boys, but they can be really proud of this well earned point.”


Flitch Youth 3

Vipers Youth 3

THIS was a proverbial game of two halves. Flitch took the lead when Turner blasted home Atkinson’s cross from close range. Atkinson lobbed the keeper from long range to make it 2-0, before a Vipers defender turned Abbott’s shot into his own net to make it 3-0.

Defensively, Cottrell and Baccush in particular were solid in the Flitch defence to ensure that their lead was maintained at the break.

The second half saw a much improved Vipers performance, whilst injuries forced Flitch to reshuffle.

The Vipers quickly scored two goals to make it 3-2, before Elliott cleared off the line and Harrington saved a penalty.

Hodge started several good moves for Flitch but the home side couldn’t quite take advantage, and a late equaliser for the visitors was deserved in what was an even game.

Brentwood Sports 0

Dunmow Rhodes 8

DUNMOW’S league visit to third top Brentwood Sports on Sunday saw the visitors produce an outstanding performance, scoring eight goals without reply.

From the first whistle the home defence struggled with the pace and skill of strikers Murphy and Frost. Several early openings came close before Frost followed in a Leaning effort to put Rhodes in front. The same player drove home a second five minutes later. Leaning and Soutar were firmly in control of midfield and the formers through pass to Frost saw the striker brought down in the box. Although the keeper made a fine save from Dickers spot kick the alert Dunmow player followed in to smash home a volley.

After the interval the home side tried to find a way back into the game and a ferocious 20-yard shot was superbly held by Johnson.

Dunmow regained control with Dicker and Jacobs showing composure to continually play the ball accurately from defence and as French pushed up the left Turner was released to fire home the fourth.

The pace and precision of Rhodes play was excellent and Leaning added a fifth before Frost completed his hat-trick.

Carter and Evans clever wing play had caused issues for the home side and they combined for the fifth when Carters weaving run finished with a cross for Evans to score from a tight angle.

The excellent Evans completed the scoring with a great strike following a move with Barry, Soutar Murphy and Frost.

This was a great win for the Dunmow side who welcome Dagenham side Aztec to The Rec this week for a cup tie.

Uplands Rangers 0

Thaxted Rangers 6

THIS was the fourth time these two sides have met this season and for the third time Thaxted came away winners. The visitors started brightly and Grayden Thorpe confidently opened the scoring from a well placed through ball by Tim Jossaume.

Joe Carey was quick to score the second when he picked the ball up from the halfway line and with a one-on-one with the keeper slotted the ball just inside the far post.

In the second half Thaxted continued to push forward and Joe Carey took advantage of the ball slipping through the keepers hands to make it 3-0. Carey then scored his first hat-trick for the club when his long range shot was deflected past the keeper.

Uplands started to pressure the Thaxted defence but keeper Evan Sunshine was quick to deal with any loose balls. The hosts were unable to keep the play in the Thaxted area and Callum Sparrow’s shot deflected to Rory Mercer to make it 5-0.

The best was saved until last when, in the last minute, Tim Jossaume passed the ball out wide to Mercer who crossed ball into the box, to be met perfectly by James Benstead who headed home a much deserved goal.

Wilvale Rangers 1

Dunmow United Tigers 9

DUNMOW travelled to Chelmsford on Sunday and took maximum points in this League Cup Group One encounter.

The visitors completely dominated throughout the match, by being disciplined and keeping their team shape.

The goals came thick and fast with a Walker hat-trick, a brace from Windsor and one a-piece from Newman, Lawrence, Capon and Suleyman.

The only time United looked uncertain was when they committed too many players forward and were caught on the break and with Crowley left isolated in goal the hosts could not fail to get a consolation goal.

A good overall team performance from United could’ve resulted in a wider margin but for some good work by the Wilvale keeper.

Will Ruane turned in one of his best performances in a Dunmow shirt with some assured touches and showing off his wide range of passing ability, he was one of many who caught the eye. Next week United host Billericay Town in what will prove a sterner test in their final group game before entering the knockout stages.

Barnston Youth 1

Tolleshunt Knights 3

BARNSTON started well, by putting pressure on the Tolleshunt defence, for the early part of the game, but the visitors began to come into the game, and found Frank Luckin in good form, in the Barnston goal, pulling of some excellent saves.

There was not much between the two sides in the first half until Barnston took the lead through a Sam Duberry goal.

The turning point of the game, was a crazy ten minutes, straight from the start of the second half, when Barnston conceded three goals, with John Newman, William Gribble and Keiran Scott scoring for Tolleshunt.

The game then became more even, with chances coming thick and fast from the Barnston and the Tolleshunt forwards, but both defences also had good games, and Luckin again pulling of more good second half saves. Man of the Match for Barnston, Austin Hawkins who had an excellent game throughout, as did his team mates.


Bardfield Muddogs 7

Priory Parkside 1

THIS was a very convincing win for the Muddogs in their final home league match of the season.

Priory, having made the long trip from St.Neots, were expecting a close encounter as seen in the early part of the season but Muddogs were not t in such a generous mood.

On five minutes Potter opened the scoring firing past the keeper from 12 yards. An early reply from Parkside who equalised within three minutes and then Muddogs began to move up the gears.

Continually building from midfield the wingers made full use of the ball, Major an ever present on the left crossing for Fairhurst to knock in the second.

Spence having a good time in the middle taking the ball to the heart of the Priory defence then went close with three efforts in a row to until finally he scored his first of the season shooting low to the keepers left.

Some great link-up play between Major and Spence followed up with Potter hitting the post but following up managed to stab the ball home for the Muddogs to be 4-1 up at the break.

A second half break from the Muddogs saw the ball fall loose on the edge of the box, Deller popped up hitting low in to the corner for his third of the season.

A corner from Major half way through second half allowed Spence to poke home for his second and the Muddogs sixth, he duly made it three for himself and seven for the team five minutes later when a ball through the heart of the Priory’s tiring defence saw him running on to it and firing hard and low to the keepers right.

Barnston Youth 2

Vipers 5

THIS was an unfortunate result that doesn’t reflect a well matched team for most of the game.

Barnston came flying out of the stocks with an early goal from Redman who ran on to an immaculate pass and carefully slotted his shot past the oncoming Vipers goalie. Vipers pushed back, and ‘keeper Michie made a number of important saves.

Mid-way through the first half, Ralph put Barnston 2-0 up with a beautifully taken strike that epitomised teamwork. Darling won the ball in the middle of the park and found Muir. He spotted Mixture who set up Ralph.

Man-of-the-match was Albie Wardle, who displayed discipline and maturity as he fulfilled two separate roles. His defensive tackles were well timed and often crucial and his ability to pick out the perfect cross was important when Barnston pushed forward.