Young Dunmow gymnast is county champion
A YOUNG gymnast has already climbed the giddy heights of becoming county champion only 12 months after first taking up the sport.
Nine-year-old Joshua Redman triumphed over the best boys in the county to become champion at the recent Eastern Gymnastic Championships in Ipswich in front of 200 people.
His proud dad Robert is astonished that his son has learned the various aspects of the sport so quickly.
“He only really started a year ago,” he said. “But he already has a favourite event and is training with the TT club in Braintree.
“He loves to do the somersaults and tumbles involved in the floor routines but he won the competition last weekend by also taking part in three other disciplines; high bar, parallel bars and vault. We are very proud and happy for him.”
You may also want to watch:
Joshua attends Dunmow St Mary’s Primary school and has to fit his training around his studies.
Currently he does three hours on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. But this will be increased substantially before he takes on the top youngsters in the country.
- 1 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 2 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 3 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 4 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
- 5 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 6 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 7 They're record breakers! Self-test attracts worldwide support
- 8 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 9 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 10 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
Next up is he will be the national championships in Lowestoft in 2011.