Young Dunmow gymnast is county champion
A YOUNG gymnast has already climbed the giddy heights of becoming county champion only 12 months after first taking up the sport.
Nine-year-old Joshua Redman triumphed over the best boys in the county to become champion at the recent Eastern Gymnastic Championships in Ipswich in front of 200 people.
His proud dad Robert is astonished that his son has learned the various aspects of the sport so quickly.
“He only really started a year ago,” he said. “But he already has a favourite event and is training with the TT club in Braintree.
“He loves to do the somersaults and tumbles involved in the floor routines but he won the competition last weekend by also taking part in three other disciplines; high bar, parallel bars and vault. We are very proud and happy for him.”
You may also want to watch:
Joshua attends Dunmow St Mary’s Primary school and has to fit his training around his studies.
Currently he does three hours on Thursday evenings and Saturday mornings. But this will be increased substantially before he takes on the top youngsters in the country.
- 1 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 2 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 3 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 4 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 5 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 'Not now, Bernard' - Children's concert to open Saffron Walden Symphony Orchestra's new season
- 8 Essex initiative to support children in hospital reaches milestone
- 9 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 10 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
Next up is he will be the national championships in Lowestoft in 2011.