Winning start to Essex Senior League season for Takeley
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Lockett’s brace helped Takeley open the 2015/16 season with a 2-0 Essex Senior League home win against Tower Hamlets on Saturday.
The visitors began the encounter with a threatening style and Takeley’s defenders were kept busy for the first half.
For the first 25 minutes Takeley rarely threatened, however they went ahead on 27 minutes.
Lockett converted from close range following a corner from captain Alex Martin.
Tower Hamlets went close to equalising almost straight away, but the hosts had keeper Sam Haywood to thank for a smart save.
You may also want to watch:
The home defence was also helped by a fine display from Olade Yusuf.
Takeley maintained their advantage going into the break.
- 1 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 2 New cycle network consultation announced
- 3 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 4 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 5 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 6 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 7 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 8 Roger Hirst remains in place in Police, Fire and Crime Commissioner elections
- 9 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 10 New mayor and deputy mayor appointed for town council
The second half began with Takeley’s Ross Collins striking the angle of the crossbar and upright.
Gavin Cockman became frustrated as his attempts to help his side to a second goal were denied.
One such attempt saw a fantastic charge into the Hamlets’ penalty area thwarted as Cockman was beaten to the ball by Olawale Ogunoil.
The decisive goal was to come though as Jordan Westcott put in a centre that Lockett tucked home with seven minutes remaining.
Lockett and James Mayes were replaced by Chris Morgan and Andy Reed for the final minutes of the match.
Andy Reed was unfortunate not score in the 88th minute as he was denied by Sean Bazell’s good save and there was still time for Martin to see an effort stopped by the away keeper.
Takeley are due to play FC Romania at Cheshunt FC’s Theobalds Lane ground tonight (Wednesday).
On Saturday Takeley are in FA Cup preliminary round action.
Duncan Easley’s men travel the short distance to face Stansted FC at Bishop’s Stortford FC’s Woodside Park ground.