Winning start to Essex Senior League season for Takeley
- Credit: Archant
Ryan Lockett’s brace helped Takeley open the 2015/16 season with a 2-0 Essex Senior League home win against Tower Hamlets on Saturday.
The visitors began the encounter with a threatening style and Takeley’s defenders were kept busy for the first half.
For the first 25 minutes Takeley rarely threatened, however they went ahead on 27 minutes.
Lockett converted from close range following a corner from captain Alex Martin.
Tower Hamlets went close to equalising almost straight away, but the hosts had keeper Sam Haywood to thank for a smart save.
The home defence was also helped by a fine display from Olade Yusuf.
Takeley maintained their advantage going into the break.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 6 Things to do in Essex this June
- 7 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 8 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 9 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 10 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
The second half began with Takeley’s Ross Collins striking the angle of the crossbar and upright.
Gavin Cockman became frustrated as his attempts to help his side to a second goal were denied.
One such attempt saw a fantastic charge into the Hamlets’ penalty area thwarted as Cockman was beaten to the ball by Olawale Ogunoil.
The decisive goal was to come though as Jordan Westcott put in a centre that Lockett tucked home with seven minutes remaining.
Lockett and James Mayes were replaced by Chris Morgan and Andy Reed for the final minutes of the match.
Andy Reed was unfortunate not score in the 88th minute as he was denied by Sean Bazell’s good save and there was still time for Martin to see an effort stopped by the away keeper.
Takeley are due to play FC Romania at Cheshunt FC’s Theobalds Lane ground tonight (Wednesday).
On Saturday Takeley are in FA Cup preliminary round action.
Duncan Easley’s men travel the short distance to face Stansted FC at Bishop’s Stortford FC’s Woodside Park ground.