Whittaker sets new record at Great Easton 5 mile road race
- Credit: Archant
The Great Easton 5 mile road race course record was smashed on Sunday.
The challenging, hilly course started at Great Easton church, took runners along country roads through Tilty, towards Broxted, with an uphill finish to Great Easton village hall.
The event was organised by Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners and was an Essex Championship race.
Second to finish was Blair McWhirter of Ilford Athletic Club in 25mins 58secs, followed by Scott Sterling of Newham and Essex Beagles in 26mins 16secs.
The fastest female was Sarah Stradling of Colchester Harriers in 30mins 9secs, just 7 seconds outside the women’s course record.
You may also want to watch:
Second woman was Clare Thurgood of Orion Harriers in 30mins 56secs, just ahead of Springfield Striders’ Nikki Brockbank (31mins 10secs).
The male age category winners were: MV40 Malcolm Muir (Ilford Athletic Club, 27mins 8secs), MV50 Colin Ridley (Colchester Harriers, 28mins 14secs) and MV60 Chris McDonnell (Dengie 100 Runners, 34mins 32secs).
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 Broomfield nurse still struggling with Covid-19 after effects
- 3 Holidaymakers fly abroad again out of Stansted Airport
- 4 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 5 Hoarding can cause higher risk of fire, says emergency service
- 6 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 7 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 8 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 9 New cycle network consultation announced
- 10 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
The female age category winners were: FV35 Tarnya Parker (Benfleet Running Club, 33mins 29secs), FV45 Melinda Jones (Ilford Athletic Club, 35mins 30secs) and FV55 Breege Nordin (Ilford Athletic Club, 35mins 14secs).
The men’s team prize was won by Ilford Athletic Club and the women’s team prize by Colchester Harriers.
Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners will be holding the Felsted 10km road race on July 13.