Whirlwind weekend for race ace Lyons
- Credit: Archant
Monza in Italy proved a happy hunting ground for Felsted’s Michael Lyons and the Kessel Racing team on Sunday after securing a Pro-Am Class podium finish during the opening round of the 2015 Blancpain Endurance Series in the No.11 Ferrari 458 Italia.
As well as competing at Monza this weekend, the 24-year-old racer was also in action at Silverstone on Saturday where he made an outstanding debut in the headline LMP2 prototype class of the European Le Mans Series.
On course for a podium bid in the four-hour ELMS opening round with Murphy Prototypes, Lyons was crestfallen to find out, after he had left the circuit to catch his evening flight to Monza, the Oreca-Nissan had developed an electrical issue in the final hour forcing retirement.
Despite that, the incredible weekend not only underlined the young Stortford driver’s professionalism, it also confirmed his pace and front-running credentials racing at a high level in two contrasting race cars.
“The podium at Monza in Blancpain is a great way to start the season, but it is a case of what might have been - both there and at Silverstone in ELMS,” said Lyons.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a great chance to try and win in Blancpain, and a podium wasn’t far away at Silverstone either.
“I’m very happy with the job I did, though.
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 9 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 10 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
“It all went seamlessly really and to race the LMP2 on Saturday and the Ferrari on Sunday in two different countries was pretty special and not something you get to do too often.”
Next on the racing schedule for Lyons is a visit to the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona this coming weekend where he will be competing at the wheel of an Historic Formula One car and also Group C Sportscar during the Espiritu de Montjuic festival.