Whirlwind weekend for race ace Lyons
- Credit: Archant
Monza in Italy proved a happy hunting ground for Felsted’s Michael Lyons and the Kessel Racing team on Sunday after securing a Pro-Am Class podium finish during the opening round of the 2015 Blancpain Endurance Series in the No.11 Ferrari 458 Italia.
As well as competing at Monza this weekend, the 24-year-old racer was also in action at Silverstone on Saturday where he made an outstanding debut in the headline LMP2 prototype class of the European Le Mans Series.
On course for a podium bid in the four-hour ELMS opening round with Murphy Prototypes, Lyons was crestfallen to find out, after he had left the circuit to catch his evening flight to Monza, the Oreca-Nissan had developed an electrical issue in the final hour forcing retirement.
Despite that, the incredible weekend not only underlined the young Stortford driver’s professionalism, it also confirmed his pace and front-running credentials racing at a high level in two contrasting race cars.
“The podium at Monza in Blancpain is a great way to start the season, but it is a case of what might have been - both there and at Silverstone in ELMS,” said Lyons.
You may also want to watch:
“We had a great chance to try and win in Blancpain, and a podium wasn’t far away at Silverstone either.
“I’m very happy with the job I did, though.
- 1 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 2 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 3 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 4 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 5 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 6 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 7 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 8 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
“It all went seamlessly really and to race the LMP2 on Saturday and the Ferrari on Sunday in two different countries was pretty special and not something you get to do too often.”
Next on the racing schedule for Lyons is a visit to the Circuit de Catalunya in Barcelona this coming weekend where he will be competing at the wheel of an Historic Formula One car and also Group C Sportscar during the Espiritu de Montjuic festival.