Weather smiles on Finchingfield in home clash
Finchingfield Cricket Club enjoyed their first home game since re-forming last year on Sunday. The visitors for the day were neighbours Wethersfield, apt opponents as Finchingfield were the first to play Wethersfield when they re-formed in 1987. Des
Finchingfield Cricket Club enjoyed their first home game since re-forming last year on Sunday.
The visitors for the day were neighbours Wethersfield, apt opponents as Finchingfield were the first to play Wethersfield when they re-formed in 1987.
Despite awful weather during the previous week, groundsman Paul Butt produced a pitch which looked and played superb.
On a wonderful summer's afternoon, the game was well supported by the community and the crowd was able to sample the delights of a beer tent, a BBQ, and a cake stall, whilst watching an excellent match played in the very best spirit of the game.
You may also want to watch:
Wethersfield, batting first, scored 168-5 wickets in 42 overs. Top scorer was D Halliday with 69. Halliday was well supported by opener R Lambert scoring 44 runs.
Pick of the Finchingfield bowlers were G Morgan (2-36 off 12 overs) and N Copper (1-22 off nine overs).
- 1 In pictures: Fun at the 2021 Great Dunmow Teddy Bears' picnic
- 2 In pictures: Post box knitting celebrates Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Tom Daley
- 3 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 4 Disabled resident compensated after Uttlesford council 'fault'
- 5 Jobs boost for community as Dunmow's Caremark sees demand surge
- 6 Stansted Airport's summer getaway flight figures
- 7 Cambridge Country Show promises 'something for everybody'
- 8 Former Tring Athletic boss Kevin Christou named as new manager at Dunmow Town
- 9 Thieves swap elderly hospital patient’s ‘precious’ rings with tin bands
- 10 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
Finchingfield's reply started slowly, but they managed to reach 113-4 with 11 overs left. However, a batting collapse saw them all out for 138 in the 40th over.
N Copper top scored on 49, with G Morgan and captain T Burbidge both scoring 21.
Club chairman Damon Knight said: "This was truly a splendid day and another important step to establishing the club.
"I commend the community and businesses of Finchingfield who showed great support both before, during and after the game.
"I would also like to thank the club's committee, our sponsor Carl Fisher Estate Agents, Ridgeons, Finchingfield Parish Council, friends and family of club members, and Wethersfield Cricket Club.