Weakened Dunmow give leaders Copford a tough test
- Credit: Archant
League leaders Copford visited Dunmow’s St Edmunds Lane on Saturday and secured a six-wicket victory.
It was always going to be a tough test for the hosts, especially as seven regulars were missing due to the wedding of a former player.
Despite that, Dunmow gave a brave performance and at times even dared to believe it could be a match-winning one.
Losing the toss and being asked to bat, Dunmow got off to an excellent start. Joe Gallant and Mark Barnes put on 66 for the first wicket, before Gallant fell.
Barnes went on to make 23, Tim Coupe (30), George Gallant (18), Mark Rosewall (30) and Ben Sedman (24) as Dunmow made 197, the highest score conceded by Copford all season.
You may also want to watch:
Copford have rarely, if at all, needed to bat lower than five to secure victory this season.
However, when Jake Thompson dismissed Sinclair for a first ball duck, followed up by Matt Gibson’s dismissal of Catley, also for a duck, Copford were reeling at 4-2.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 6 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 7 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 8 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 9 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 10 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
A decent stand of 70 between Caplikas (28) and Geddis (57) proved the foundation of the Copford victory.
Despite both falling to the bowling of skipper for the day Baz Sewell, Jamie Bell made 84 to guide the leaders to victory.