Wasteful Bloods held by Halstead
Saffron Walden 1 Halstead Town 1 Poor finishing cost Saffron Walden last Wednesday as they were held to a draw by Halstead Town in the Ridgeons League First Division. Walden were straight into the attack from the whistle and in the second minute, a Kevin
Saffron Walden 1 Halstead Town 1
Poor finishing cost Saffron Walden last Wednesday as they were held to a draw by Halstead Town in the Ridgeons League First Division.
Walden were straight into the attack from the whistle and in the second minute, a Kevin Vallis in-swinging corner was saved by Ratherford in the Halstead goal. Just minutes later, Tommy Butchart's corner was headed over by Spike Bell.
Good link-up play between Riches and Bell should have put the Bloods in front but both fired wide and over the bar.
Rutherford did well to stop efforts from Ben Riches and Ryan Cannon, while at the other end, Rowell and Bryan shot over the bar.
Just before the break, Butchart's curling effort struck the post as the teams went in level at half-time.
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 4 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 5 Silent auction, live music, collection: Ukraine support
- 6 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 7 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 8 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 9 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
In the second half Walden looked the more likely to score but it was the visitors who made the breakthrough when Ryan fired into the net after
A Vallis free-kick brought another fine save from the keeper, but he was beaten after 73 minutes when Bell's pace beat the defender and he cut inside to set Riches up to tap in the equaliser.
Bell and Clarke both came close to firing in the winner for Walden late on, but it wasn't to be and they had to settle for a share of the spoils.