Wasteful Bloods held by Halstead
Saffron Walden 1 Halstead Town 1 Poor finishing cost Saffron Walden last Wednesday as they were held to a draw by Halstead Town in the Ridgeons League First Division. Walden were straight into the attack from the whistle and in the second minute, a Kevin
Saffron Walden 1 Halstead Town 1
Poor finishing cost Saffron Walden last Wednesday as they were held to a draw by Halstead Town in the Ridgeons League First Division.
Walden were straight into the attack from the whistle and in the second minute, a Kevin Vallis in-swinging corner was saved by Ratherford in the Halstead goal. Just minutes later, Tommy Butchart's corner was headed over by Spike Bell.
Good link-up play between Riches and Bell should have put the Bloods in front but both fired wide and over the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Rutherford did well to stop efforts from Ben Riches and Ryan Cannon, while at the other end, Rowell and Bryan shot over the bar.
Just before the break, Butchart's curling effort struck the post as the teams went in level at half-time.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 6 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 New cycle network consultation announced
- 9 Summer art competition for children launched by school
- 10 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
In the second half Walden looked the more likely to score but it was the visitors who made the breakthrough when Ryan fired into the net after
A Vallis free-kick brought another fine save from the keeper, but he was beaten after 73 minutes when Bell's pace beat the defender and he cut inside to set Riches up to tap in the equaliser.
Bell and Clarke both came close to firing in the winner for Walden late on, but it wasn't to be and they had to settle for a share of the spoils.