Walden set for exciting year
Saffron Walden Rugby Club s youth section are looking for new players ahead of the new season which starts on September 2. Simon Read, the youth section chairman, said Our aim is to introduce young players to rugby in a fun and safe environment, and to
Saffron Walden Rugby Club's youth section are looking for new players ahead of the new season which starts on September 2.
Simon Read, the youth section chairman, said "Our aim is to introduce young players to rugby in a fun and safe environment, and to give everyone an equal chance to play. The club has progressed really well over the last few years, with standards improving and our youth membership growing to nearly 200.
"This season we will be running squads from under six to under 16 level, and this brings us close to our aim of creating a Colts squad which will feed players into the senior teams."
Young members benefit from the club's connections with Saracens and Socious Sports.
"The Saracens link-up was very popular last season," said Read. "Our players benefited by getting top quality tuition from their academy coaches, and some of our youngsters got to play in front of 8000 people at Vicarage Road."
Another exciting opportunity for the club this season will come from its association with Touraid, a rugby charity backed by Harlequins and London Irish.
- 1 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 2 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 6 Emergency bananas rescue man's 875-mile solo cycle challenge
- 7 The Silver Wolf, highest Scouting honour, for Neville Wilson
- 8 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 9 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
A special ambassador from Touraid, the South African rugby World Cup winner, Chester Williams, will be visiting the club on September 23 to meet club members.
The club is keen to recruit new players at all levels. Visit www.swrfc.co.uk, or phone Simon on 01799 500239.