United held to draw in thriller

Dunmow United Tigers U-9 5 Mayland Village Wolves 5 Dunmow United Tigers played out a thrilling draw with Mayland at the weekend. From the start both teams played with some good flowing football despite the heavy rain, but it was Mayland who stormed into

Dunmow United Tigers U-9 5 Mayland Village Wolves 5

Dunmow United Tigers played out a thrilling draw with Mayland at the weekend.

From the start both teams played with some good flowing football despite the heavy rain, but it was Mayland who stormed into the lead with two goals inside five minutes.

United hit back with a neat through ball finding Alfie Monk to slot home past the keeper.

Connor Capon added a second with a well-struck left-foot shot to even the score, and United edged ahead soon after with Ryan Suleyman scoring in a packed Mayland penalty area.

However, the visitors responded to go in at the break level.

Most Read

United sensed victory could be theirs when Jake Lander latched on to a neat pass to go back in front. United's lead was further increased when Suleyman's hard work was rewarded with his second.

The heavy pitch was starting to affect both sides, but Mayland proved stronger at the end and scored twice in the last 10 minutes to ensure the points were shared in a game, which did not deserve a loser.

Thaxted Rangers U-7 0 Silver End 3

Despite conceding five in their last meeting, Thaxted faced up to Silver End and produced some exciting football, but ultimately the visitors proved too strong.

Thaxted's defence was initially solid, but the visitors finally broke through just before half-time.

Thaxted continued to battle and the second half started much as the first with both sides having fairly even possession.

Silver End scored twice more after the break to secure the points but, given that they are unbeaten this season, Thaxted put up an excellent display and were unlucky not to score.

Thaxted Rangers Yellows U-9 2 Notley Youth Kestrels 1

Thaxted Rangers got the better of Notley Youth at the weekend in a League Cup qualifier.

Rangers pressurised the visitors' goal from the offset and the Yellows were rewarded when Matt Pike netted from a Charlie Kinnerley corner and although Notley had a chance to draw level with a penalty, the spot kick crept past the upright.

With the half drawing to a close and with the home side increasingly on top, Charlie Kinnerley broke through and his shot beat Notley's keeper.

The visitors made headway in the second half and scored a goal five minutes from the restart, but stubborn defending from the Yellows in all areas kept the score at 2-1 and ensured the home side progressed to the semi final.

Focus Ferrers Tigers U-11 0 Thaxted Rangers 6

Thaxted Rangers hit Focus Ferrers for six after a great second half performance.

A magnificent display by Sam Hyde in the Thaxted goal ensured that, despite the wind and rain blowing into their faces, Thaxted went in level at half-time.

The Tigers had been quicker to the ball throughout the first half and created several chances, but Sam had blocked all efforts.

After the break, Thaxted finally found their feet and put six past the Tigers. George Simmons scored a hat-trick and there were goals for Tommy Mercer, Tom Burke and James Kelvin, but it was Sam Hyde's first half display that kept the visitors in the game.

Thaxted Rangers U-12 1 Notley Youth 4

This match was played in driving rain on an increasingly muddy pitch and it was Notley that came out deservedly on top, though it was closer than the score may suggest.

Notley opened the scoring, but Thaxted fought back and had equalised before the first half was over with a long-range effort from Danny Buckley.

The second half saw Notley put away the chances they created, while at the other end, the Notley keeper made a couple of fine saves to keep Thaxted at bay.

Flitch Youth U-9 0 Ravens Youth Gliders 3

In a top of the table clash in atrocious conditions, Flitch Youth were unlucky to get nothing out of a game where they threatened Ravens Youth Gliders' goal on countless occasions.

The visitors nevertheless looked impressive in racing to a 3-0 lead by half-time.

In the second half, Flitch defended more tightly, especially man of the match Mulley, and went close through Dicker, Turner, Bull and Frost but without any success.

Flitch Youth U-11 4 Great Notley United 3

This was a tremendously entertaining game played out in dreadful conditions, which saw Flitch come from behind to take the victory.

After falling behind to a speculative effort, which flew over Lewis Haygreen's head in the 10th minute, Flitch took charge of the game and played some of their finest passing football of the season.

After setting up the equaliser with a lovely run and cut back for Laurence Elder to score, Connor Gray beat the keeper from outside the box to put Flitch ahead.

This soon became 3-1, as Callum Archer scored from close in, and this was how it stood at half-time.

The fourth followed soon after, a cracking drive from top scorer Daniel Jacques, and Flitch seemed well in control, creating enough chances to close out the game.

However, a resolute Notley side fought back well, and having clawed back two goals, made the last few minutes very nervous for Flitch.

Walden Spirit U-13 3 Aztecs 1

Walden Spirit met Linton Aztecs for the third week in a row, this time in the Cup, with the hosts taking the victory.

The game started off at a fantastic pace and within three minutes Issy Davison was put through to open the scoring.

This seemed to cause Spirit to relax too much and this proved costly on 17 minutes when Aztecs rounded off a good move with a goal to level.

Spirit responded by launching another attack and Yasmin Zituoni found Hannah Burlinson. She had a long shot at goal and, aided by the windy conditions, found the back of the net to bring the half-time score to 2-1.

The second half saw both teams battling hard, again without reward, until Issy Davison extended the home side's lead 16 minutes into the second half. This was followed by another attempt on goal by Issy with her thunderous shot ricocheting off the bar and crashing down on the line, just missing out on another hat-trick.

Spirit continued to apply pressure, but couldn't find a further breakthrough.

Comberton Crusaders U-14 2 Walden Spirit 1

Walden Spirit lost to Comberton Crusaders in a thrilling encounter at the weekend.

Walden Spirit, who had to start the game with only 10 girls, almost took the lead when a shot from Laura Millichap hit the goal post and went agonisingly wide.

However Comberton were always a threat in attack and, had it not been for some good goal keeping, from Anna Carter Gladwin in the Spirit goal, they could have taken the lead much earlier.

Comberton's persistence eventually paid off when a well-worked move gave their striker an easy tap in.

Walden Spirit, now up to full strength, had chances from Juliet Goodman, Sam Tant and Laura Millichap but Comberton worked hard to maintain their advantage

at half-time.

Walden Spirit played a more structured game in the second half and for long periods dominated the match, but were unable to score.

Comberton then extended their lead when a high ball beat the defence and allowed the Comberton striker time to fire the ball past

the keeper.

Spirit continued to press forward and eventually Sam Tant, who had run tirelessly throughout, latched onto a through ball to tuck it neatly past the diving keeper.

For the last 10 minutes the game could have gone either way with both defence's determined to stop any further goals.

Fulbourn Falcons U-13 B 0

Aztecs 2

Aztecs proved too strong for Fulbourn Falcons on Sunday in another wind affected game.

Aztecs started brightly and George Udall put in a great cross, which Michael O netted, but he was unfortunately offside. Hayden minutes later had a great

shot across goal, which was deflected for a corner.

Aztecs took the lead three minutes into the second half when Owen Boyce found David Lowe from a corner kick and his knock down enabled Liam to drive his shot through assembled bodies and past the keeper.

Aztecs' second goal came near the end as David put a great pass through to Owen - his thunderous shot across goal was parried by the keeper directly in to the path of Aaron Stock who buried the ball, having made a fine run from the half-way line to be there.

Manuden Juniors U-10 2 Baldock Lancers 1

Manuden Juniors recorded a well-deserved victory against a determined Baldock team in atrocious conditions at the weekend.

Manuden controlled the first half with a good team performance and went in at half-time 2-0 up, with both goals coming from man of the match Nick Phillips.

Baldock fought back well in the second half and quickly pulled a goal back.

However, Manuden always looked in control and saw the game out for a 2-1 victory.

Corringham Cosmos U-17 0 Takeley Youth 7

Takeley eased into the next round of the League Cup competition with a predictably one-sided win over the side currently propping up the bottom division.

It was just a matter of time before Takeley broke the deadlock, and it was no surprise that the first goal was made by Billy Ryan, whose cross after 15 minutes was parried by the home keeper into the path of Sam Coleman, who made no mistake from 10 yards.

Five minutes later, the same player notched his second following the best move of the whole match.

Takeley played out the first half without breaking a sweat, and the manager rang the changes just five minutes into the second period.

In the second half, Ryan's cross found Little whose header was pushed out by the keeper, only for Buckland to follow up and score easily from close range.

Matt Little now came into his own, helping himself to a second- half hat-trick as Takeley finally moved to exploit their superiority. There was still time for the Jake Buckland to add another goal when he reacted first to exploit a quickly taken free-kick.

Elsenham U-8 4 Langley Colts Trojans 0

Alex Best struck twice as Elsenham recorded their fifth straight success against Langley Trojans at the Recreation Ground.

After an evenly contested opening, Owen Palmer gave the home side the lead, capping off a fine move also involving Best and Rhys Daltrey.

Best scored the first of his brace after another good move to put Elsenham two ahead at half-time, and then let fly with an outrageous shot from the left that soared into the net.

A goalmouth scramble led to the hosts' fourth and final goal, with Daltrey tapping home the loose ball to cap another fine display.

Elsenham U-12 9 Baldock Town Lancers 4

George Roberts netted a hat-trick as Elsenham got back to winning ways against a 10-man Baldock Town side at a wet Recreation Ground.

Roberts opened the scoring for the home team in the early stages, though Baldock responded well and made it difficult for Elsenham's numerical advantage to count.

However, Thomas Horton extended the lead when he deflected in a long-range shot from Luke Felton.

The visitors pulled a goal back when the Elsenham keeper failed to hold a long-range shot and a Baldock striker was on hand to prod the ball into the net.

However, Roberts restored Elsenham's two-goal lead when his shot from the edge of the area found its way through the legs of a couple of defenders and into the net.

The hosts looked to have put the game out of sight in the early stages of the second half as goals from Harry Pratt and a third from Roberts extended the lead to 5-1.

However, within the space of five minutes Baldock managed to

pull three goals back to set up a tense climax.

This time it was Elsenham who responded as a second goal from Pratt, two from Billy Abery and one from Charles Cooke finally put the game beyond Baldock's reach.

Royston Town Colts U-17 0 Elsenham 4

Second division Elsenham pulled off a giant-killing act over division one Royston to advance to the quarter-finals of the League Cup.

Playing into a stiff wind, the visitors passed and moved the ball around to good effect and deservedly went ahead through Ben Powell after a neat lay off from Elliot Nicholls.

A second goal soon followed as Sam Southgate headed home after Lee Bowie's magnificent piece of skill enabled him to escape from the corner and deliver a perfect cross.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Elsenham kept up the good work and scored a third goal when Russell Stonehouse controlled the ball on his chest and coolly slotted past the Royston keeper.

Southgate added a fourth after a flick on by Nick Rains to seal the team's place in the last eight.

Cowley Boys B U-14 5 Elsenham 2

A flurry of late goals sent Elsenham out of this season's County Cup competition at a wet and extremely windy Leytonstone.

On a pitch churned up by a preceding game, flowing football was never going to be easy and both sides struggled to adapt to the conditions in the early stages.

After seven minutes, Elsenham won a free-kick 25 yards out, which was expertly dispatched by Mason Duckett to put the visitors in front.

Cowley fought hard for a way back into the game, but Elsenham put up stout resistance until 10 minutes before half-time when a home striker struck a tremendous high shot that keeper Jon Booth got a hand to but could not keep out.

Elsenham then came close, but a firmly driven shot from outside the box then put Cowley in front for the first time.

Elsenham came out for the second half in determined mood and pulled level when Clayden hammered in a free-kick from 30 yards.

Cowley, however, took only two minutes to regain the advantage when their striker outpaced the Elsenham defence and struck a great shot into the far corner.

The home side added a fourth from a free-kick soon afterwards and despite Elsenham's best efforts to get back into the game, grabbed a fifth from a somewhat innocuous penalty.

A bad challenge in the box from Jon Bruce gave Cowley a second penalty near the end as Elsenham began to lose their discipline, but this time Booth dived low to his left to turn the spot kick away.

Dunmow Rhodes U-7 Tigers 6 Galleywood Falcons 0

Dunmow Rhodes continued their good form with a resounding victory in difficult conditions against Galleywood.

The hosts took the lead on three minutes, pressure by Bowen resulted in an unfortunate own goal from a Falcons' defender.

Powerful play from the Tigers midfield was creating chance after chance for the home side and the lead was doubled on 13 minutes. Nicholson making his Rhodes debut crossed from the left for Bowen to drive home.

A minute later the industrious Nicholson surged down the right and again found Bowen to grab his second.

Spink, Fullerton and Jacobs at the back dealt with any threat on Barrington's goal as the home side went in at the break 3-0 up.

The goal of the game came in the 23rd minute when Kitchen's strong run and cross down the right was met first time by the incoming Barry to clinically finish.

Johnson's quick feet and neat finish on 30 minutes made it five from another Nicholson assist down the right.

The Dunmow defence was finally breached on 36 minutes but a terrific save by Barrington thwarted Galleywood. Right on the whistle Rhodes claimed another, again an own goal for number six.

Notely Youth Kestrel U-8 0 Dunmow Rhodes Youth 9

Dunmow Rhodes' slick passing game and clinical finishing paid dividends against Notley Youth.

After only two minutes Williamson pounced to open the scoring and Wise added a second minutes later with a long-range effort.

With his first touch of the ball after coming on as a substitute midway through the first half, Frost slotted home the third after some great build-up play down the right.

Tigers dominated and Williamson got his second and the fourth after a mix up in the Notely defence.

Scott-Bell opened his account for the fifth with another excellent free-kick, before Wise added a brace to complete his hat-trick after clinically finishing off some excellent passing moves that resulted in Tigers going 7-0 up midway through the second half.

Scott-Bell added an eighth and soon completed his hat-trick with the ninth goal after finding the bottom corner from a well-worked move to round off the victory.

Dunmow Rhodes Tigers U-9 2 Fennlands United 1

Dunmow Rhodes put in a battling performance to win this League Cup clash.

In the first half both sides pushed for the opening goal, however it was Tom Leaning's forceful run down the right and fearsome shot, which opened the scoring.

The second half started in torrential rain and Fennlands' pressure finally paid off with an equalising goal.

From the restart Rhodes immediately broke away, Owen Panton's pace enabled him to skip through the Fennlands defence and calmly score past the advancing goalkeeper.

Fennlands pushed hard for the equaliser, however Taylor Williamson was immense in defence with some superb tackling and dogged determination to ensure the victory.

Braintree Town U-9 0 Dunmow Rhodes Lions 7

Dunmow were victorious away at Braintree Town in wet and windy conditions on Sunday.

In the eighth minute Gallop threaded the ball through to Wise and he unleashed a super drive to put his team into the lead.

In the 15th minute good battling by Carey found Turner who struck an excellent shot past the despairing keeper. Two minutes later Wise ran the full length of the pitch and his pin-point cross found Carey to slot home the third.

Just before half-time Carey returned the favour laying off into the path of Wise and once again his unstoppable shot made it 4-0.

After withstanding pressure in the second half, Dunmow regained control when the ball ran loose in the area and Turner was first to react to slot home for his brace.

In the 40th minute a well-taken corner by Wise saw an unfortunate defender deflect the ball into his own net for number six and Thompson then hit a superb drive from outside the area to seal the victory.

Dunmow Rhodes U-10 Tigers 4 Maldon Saints 1

Dunmow Rhodes sealed their place in the Blackwater League Cup semi-finals against a valiant Maldon Saints on Sunday morning.

Dunmow controlled the game from the start and took the lead in the fifth minute, when Orpen powered his way through the Saints' defence, and drove the ball past the visiting keeper.

It was not long before Rhodes increased their lead, when Crook squared the ball to a flying Riley who finished with some style.

The Tigers then appeared to hit cruise control, and Saints came back with an outstanding passage of play, finally making the scoresheet just before the break.

Rhodes steadied the ship in the second half and in the 32nd minute Baxter put in a superb cross, which Dicker returned sweetly into the path of Crook, who hammered the ball into the back of the net.

Skipper Orpen then secured his brace after 37 minutes, when a diving Saints' keeper deflected his initial strike, before he latched onto the rebound and finished the job from close in.

Deans had an outstanding effort well saved late on, but a committed Maldon defence managed to keep the score respectable.

Vipers Youth U-12 0 Dunmow Rhodes 3

Dunmow Rhodes came out on top in their clash at Vipers Youth.

Dunmow dominated and played some good football despite the appaling conditions with Stuart Stanley and Dan Watt both coming close in the goalless first half.

Dan Clelland opened the scoring after beating the keeper one-on-one, Andrew Dunne slammed in a rebound for 2-0 then Callum Parradine completed the rout with a superbly taken goal.

Saffron Walden U-10 B 2 Grampion Gunners 1

Saffron Walden shot down Grampian Gunners at the weekend.

The Gunners took the lead after five minutes, and were awarded a penalty after a hand ball, but Harry Ilot made a great save

This gave Walden heart and a corner from Jordan Smith found Reams who levelled the scores before the break.

The second half saw a great cross from Charlie Mosley finding George Templeman putting Walden in front.

Walden were then awarded a penalty, but Templeman went wide of the goal.

Both sides battled until the final whistle but Walden managed to hold onto the lead.

Saffron Walden U-11 Cherry Hinton Lions 0 (AET)

Saffron Walden made it through to the second round of the Knockout Cup after an extra time victory over Cherry Hinton.

There were few clear cut chances as both midfield and defensive units battled hard. Daniel Page forced the visiting keeper into action in the first half, while Alex Hancock was denied by the keeper.

Andrew Smith was called into action to make a solid save when the Lions had a rare opening in front of goal.

Walden started to dominate in the second half, but they couldn't find a cutting edge.

Into extra time and Walden continued to push the Lions back and were rewarded when John Griffin collected the ball on the edge of the box and fired in the winner.

Cherry Hinton tried to get back into the game but Walden kept them at bay with one of their best displays of the season.

Saffron Walden Town U-16 1 Potton Colts 2

Walden slipped to a narrow defeat against a Potton side who were after revenge after they had been humiliated at home earlier in the season.

Missing several key players did not help Walden and it was down to regular striker Sean Stock to provide the only home goal in a low scoring game.

Despite some good work by Walden man-of-the-match, Tom Foxley in midfield and some good supporting work by the rest of the squad, the young Bloods were unable to hold the visitors.

Potton successfully found the net twice during the game to take home the spoils and leave the home side to reflect on what could have been.

Spartak A U-12 Reds 6 West Wratting Beastz 0

Despite the atrocious conditions, the Reds extended their unbeaten run to five matches against West Wratting, moving themselves to the top of the table.

Playing downhill, but into the fierce wind in the first half, Spartak started strongly and Dom Wilson opened the scoring, beating the advancing keeper.

Spartak extended their lead following a superb passage of play, which ended with Terry Duck racing into the box, drawing his marker and unselfishly squaring the ball to James Kenyon who rounded the advancing keeper to place his shot into the net.

The Reds continued to dominate and Ed Low picked up a loose ball and threaded a pass to Duck who extended their lead.

In the second half, Spartak added to their advantage when a cross from Low was nudged the ball home off his groin by Theo Hutchinson.

Hutchinson netted the fifth after receiving a cross on the right from Joyal Gurung and Spartak's sixth saw Hutchinson head home to claim his hat-trick.

Waterbeach U-12 1 Spartak Blacks 6

Spartak hit Waterbeach for six on Sunday.

Spartak started the stronger and enjoyed the majority of possession but only took a slender 1-0 lead into half-time, courtesy of Jack Holliday who converted Sam McReynolds pass inside the Waterbeach area.

In the second half the Blacks notched up the goals that their earlier possession had suggested would come.

Just three minutes after the re-start Harry Goddard scored neatly from inside the area after David Boyd crossed from the left. Two minutes later Harry Stark, playing up front, made it 0-3 to the visitors when he converted Goddard's through ball.

Then five minutes later Mousa Charaffdeen found the net from inside the far post. Holliday added a fifth and Mathias Swerdlow scored a stunning goal to make it six.

The home side grabbed a consolation goal two minutes from time, but it was Spartak who were celebrating at the end.

Grampian Gunners U-13 1 Spartak 3

Spartak put in a battling performance, but league leaders Grampian took the victory.

The first 35 minutes saw some fantastic end-to-end football and ferocious tackling by both teams. Spartak made some great efforts to win the ball and held Grampian Gunners to 0-0 at half-time.

The Gunners opened the scoring early in the second half, and doubled their lead from a free-kick.

Spartak remained focused and pulled a goal back when a fantastic free-kick from Harry O'Malley, looped into the top corner

Grampian proved too strong in the closing stages, adding a third goal, but Spartak can be proud of their efforts.