Trophy semi-final for Easley’s Takeley troops
- Credit: Archant
Takeley prepared for tonight’s (Thursday’s) Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy semi-final against Barking at the Mayesbrook Park Stadium with a 2-2 home draw with Ilford on Tuesday night.
An injury time equaliser for the away side denied Takeley all three points in their Essex Senior League Premier Division clash.
Ilford punched away in the first period, with Takeley taking up the control of the second half.
Bradley Joseph struck the base of a post for Ilford before Carl Mullings broke the deadlock after a quarter of an hour.
The visitors led 1-0 against their Station Road hosts at the break, however Takeley fought back in the second half.
Full-back Olade Yusuf got forward to level the score after connecting with Alex Martin’s corner.
Michael Pindy then netted after receiving the ball from James Mayes.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 3 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 4 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 7 Queen, Alicia Keys and Diana Ross to star in BBC's Platinum Jubilee Party
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 High Roding continue excellent start, as Aythorpe, Dunmow suffer defeats
- 10 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
With the game heading to its finish, Ilford grabbed their second goal when Karolis Atutis struck five minutes into added time to earn a share of the points for his side.
All of Takeley’s attention will now be on securing a place in the trophy final.
Last week manager Duncan Easley told the Broadcast what he expects from his side’s semi-final opponents. He said: “Barking are a big, strong side with experienced players who have been there and done it.
“They have tailed off a little bit, but they will be tough.
“However if we can get our best 16 out I’d fancy us against anyone.”
Barking, who are second in the league table, secured a 1-0 Premier Division victory over Ilford on Saturday.
The weekend also saw Takeley draw 1-1 at Southend Manor.
Ryan Lockett put the away side ahead in the 11th minute and the same player hit the bar with another effort not long after as they looked to increase their advantage.
Takeley captain Alex Martin then had an effort ruled out for offside as the half ended 1-0.
Manor levelled the game on 66 minutes when substitute Rhys Fatt’s shot beat Sam Haywood in the Takeley goal.
There were enough chances for a winning goal, but nether side could take them as they settled for a point apiece.