Triathletes aim for world titles
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow athletes will join the likes of Olympic champion Alistair Brownlee in Mexico at the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final this week.
There will be more than 8,000 of the world’s best triathletes competing for world titles over five days of competition.
Dunmow’s Mel Barlow-Graham, aged 41, and 55-year-old Andy Bourne, both of Tri Sport Epping, qualified for Sunday’s age-group Standard Championship which consists of a 1,500m swim, 40km cycle and 10km run.
Bourne, who was also set to compete in The Aquathlon Championship today (Wednesday), said: “We’re absolutely delighted to be representing Great Britain and Tri Sport Epping at the Triathlon World Championships.
“Qualifying for Cozumel has been the culmination of weeks, if not years, of preparation to wear the GB vest and proudly compete for our country.”
You may also want to watch:
Seven members of Tri Sport Epping will be competing in events in Mexico.
Bourne added: “The team have been training hard across the three disciplines and all that hard work will pay off when we line up at the water’s edge at Fonatur Marina Triathlon Park.
- 1 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 2 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 3 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 4 Join Pam on sponsored 'walkies' for Guide Dogs
- 5 Almost 800 Essex patients take part in Covid-19 Recovery trial
- 6 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 7 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 8 Actor Ray Winstone's video appeal helps double air ambulance's 'brick' sales
- 9 Elsenham WI transfixed but can't work out magician's tricks
- 10 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
“We’re looking forward to competing against the best in the World.”
As well as the age group events, Cozumel will also play host to the final race in the ITU Championship Triathlon Series.
GB’s Rio 2016 gold and silver Olympic Games medal-winning Brownlee brothers, Alistair and Jonny, will be in action hoping to add more silverware to their growing honours lists.