Triathletes aim for world titles
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow athletes will join the likes of Olympic champion Alistair Brownlee in Mexico at the ITU World Triathlon Grand Final this week.
There will be more than 8,000 of the world’s best triathletes competing for world titles over five days of competition.
Dunmow’s Mel Barlow-Graham, aged 41, and 55-year-old Andy Bourne, both of Tri Sport Epping, qualified for Sunday’s age-group Standard Championship which consists of a 1,500m swim, 40km cycle and 10km run.
Bourne, who was also set to compete in The Aquathlon Championship today (Wednesday), said: “We’re absolutely delighted to be representing Great Britain and Tri Sport Epping at the Triathlon World Championships.
“Qualifying for Cozumel has been the culmination of weeks, if not years, of preparation to wear the GB vest and proudly compete for our country.”
You may also want to watch:
Seven members of Tri Sport Epping will be competing in events in Mexico.
Bourne added: “The team have been training hard across the three disciplines and all that hard work will pay off when we line up at the water’s edge at Fonatur Marina Triathlon Park.
- 1 A12 upgrade: 'The people who live here are not being considered'
- 2 Man dies after Roxwell collision, police confirm
- 3 Pedestrian dies following Dunmow collision
- 4 Helena Romanes homes plan 'harmful urbanisation' says council
- 5 'Gastro-Glastonbury' Foodies Festival coming to Hylands Park in Chelmsford
- 6 Festive Christmas markets to visit in Essex, 2021
- 7 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 8 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 9 Essex Police issues update on Katie Price's alleged assault
- 10 Dunmow's Macmillan coffee and cake success despite stolen banner
“We’re looking forward to competing against the best in the World.”
As well as the age group events, Cozumel will also play host to the final race in the ITU Championship Triathlon Series.
GB’s Rio 2016 gold and silver Olympic Games medal-winning Brownlee brothers, Alistair and Jonny, will be in action hoping to add more silverware to their growing honours lists.