Town hit Wimblington for six

Wimblington Youth U-16 1 Saffron Walden Town 6 Walden bagged their second successive haul of six to take the honours after a strong performance at bottom of the table Wimblington. Captain Luke Bunting started the ball rolling in the fourth minute w

Wimblington Youth U-16 1 Saffron Walden Town 6

Walden bagged their second successive haul of six to take the honours after a strong performance at bottom of the table Wimblington.

Captain Luke Bunting started the ball rolling in the fourth minute with a strike from a Walker through ball only to see the home side equalise five minutes later.

Sean Stock and Josh Leopold both took good chances to see the visitors end the half two goals ahead.

For most of the second half, the young Bloods battled hard but could not find the net, with Wimblington making occasional breaks, which came to nothing.

With just 10 minutes to go, in quick succession Jimmy Hall, Tom Foxley and Tom Bush all netted to put the game safely out of reach of the home side.

Most Read

Saffron Walden U-11 3 Aztecs Juniors 3

Aztecs fought back to earn a share of the spoils against Saffron Walden.

Daniel Murphy-Moore stuck to give Walden the lead after seven minutes and Jed Butler doubled the lead in the 15th minute.

Walden then switched off and Aztecs took advantage through an own goal and an equaliser just before half-time.

Walden produced a great move from defence to score their third. John Griffin headed out to Butler who passed to Murphy-Moore bursting down the left wing to cross to Charlie Pitt who finished the move off.

Aztecs threatened from corners and it was a superb delivery from the corner flag that created their third goal.

Charlie Pitt struck the bar with a 20-yard free-kick and Daniel Page had a shot headed off the line in a feverish end to a match Walden were so close to winning.

Saffron Walden Town U-11 2 Whittlesford Warriors 2

Town and Warriors carried on from where they left off two weeks ago in their cup tie that Warriors won 1-0, with an equally competitive league match, which saw the spoils shared this time.

Town started the stronger with some great passing play, but failed to capitalise with a goal, mainly thanks to good saves from the Warrior's keeper.

However, as the match progressed the visitors became stronger and forced a fantastic save from Town's goalkeeper Josh Charge.

The Warriors broke the deadlock following a goalmouth scramble, and although Town had some near misses from George Brignell, Whittlesford went in at the break with the advantage.

The second half continued very evenly and Town eventually equalised after 10 minutes from a well hit Jack Inkley free-kick.

Warriors responded by putting Town under pressure, but Charge in goal kept them at bay until 10 minutes from the end when the defence failed to clear and they reinstated their lead.

With time running out Town showed great character by coming back a second time when George Brignell superbly ran and controlled a long ball and steered it past the Warriors keeper to give them a well-deserved draw.

Thaxted Rangers U-7 0 Dunmow Rhodes Tigers 2

Thaxted Rangers put in a battling performance on Sunday, but slipped to a defeat at home to Dunmow Rhodes Tigers.

Thaxted started strongly, but found themselves 2-0 down at half-time, with George Bowen firing in two goals for the Tigers.

Rangers played very well in the second half but were unable to convert chances to goals.

Keeper Thomas Marsh made four good saves while at the other end, Thomas Farmer and Oliver Thorpe came close to scoring.

Dunmow Rhodes U-8 6 Braintree Town Whites 0

Dunmow Tigers put last week's result behind them with a victory over Braintree Town Whites.

Three goals from Williamson, two from Wise and one from Chew led the hosts to a comfortable win.

Silver End U-12 2 Dunmow Rhodes 1

Dunmow crashed to their first defeat of the season after a disappointing performance away at Silver End.

Ben Barry was the pick of the defenders, working valiantly to contain a resurgent Silver End.

Dan Clelland, Dan Watt and Andrew Dunne all had chances, but it was Silver End who took the lead just after the break and then doubled it with a fine corner.

Callum Parradine pulled a goal back for Dunmow, but it was too little, too late for Rhodes.

North Fambridge U-9 2 Thaxted Rangers Yellows 1

A thrilling match between Thaxted and North Fambridge saw the hosts take the victory at the weekend.

Thaxted got off to a strong start and although North Fambridge pushed hard, some great defending by Tommy Croft, ensured the game remained scoreless throughout the first half.

The home side made a positive start to the second half, but Thaxted cleared the ball well and moved play into the oppositions half. A shot by William Lawrence hit the post and a dangerous corner by Thaxted just missed the target.

However, a good move by the home team saw them open the scoring only to see this cancelled out by Charlie Kinnerley.

It was an evenly fought game and it was only in the last few minutes that Fambridge Falcons grabbed the winning goal.

Thaxted Rangers Blues U-9 3 Mayland Village Wolves 1

Thaxted roared their way past Mayland Wolves at the weekend.

The hosts took the lead after 10 minutes when a long free-kick from Tim Jossaume floated high over the keeper and under the bar.

Thaxted extended their lead when a rare mistake by the Wolves defence found Jack Morris unmarked with only the keeper to beat taking the home side two up.

Still hungry for more, the Blues were rewarded with a third goal, courtesy of Adam Braden, just before half-time.

Mayland came out for the second half looking like a team on a mission and Thaxted's keeper, Evan Sunshine, had to make three good saves in quick succession to keep his team in the match.

Finally, the Wolves' persistence paid off when a shot from distance found its way into the back of the net for a late consolation.

Thaxted Rangers U-11 4 Writtle Minors 1

Thaxted dominated their game with Writtle on Remembrance Sunday and had it not been for some fine goal keeping by the keeper the scoreline would have been much higher.

However, in spite of almost continual Thaxted pressure, it was Writtle who scored first through a well struck penalty, which Sam Bradley in the Thaxted goal had no chance of saving.

Thaxted continued to threaten and at last began to find the target, with Tom Burke scoring twice after excellent corners and William Aitken floating a shot home.

Tom then secured his hat-trick, and Thaxted's well-deserved win, with a looping shot over the keeper's head.

Thaxted Rangers U-12 2 Maldon Town Tigers 1

For the second week running Thaxted came up against the Tigers with the home side coming out on top in what was a very even contest.

Maldon opened the scoring but Thaxted came back to square it at half-time with a goal from Freddie Haines.

In the second half it could have gone either way with both sides hitting the woodwork, but in the end a well taken goal from Jack Flood took the points for Thaxted.

Flitch Youth U-9 1 Notley Youth Kestrels 3

Flitch Youth slipped to a home defeat against Notley on Sunday.

Flitch started brightly with several good moves instigated by accurate passing from man of the match Tyson. Defensively, Flitch was also solid in the early stages, with Callaghan marshalling the defence well and keeper Worthington making some good stops.

However, the visitors also defended well and the game was goalless at the break.

The visitors took the lead early in the second half, but Flitch equalised almost immediately through a scrambled White goal.

The visitors then retook the lead against the run of play and sealed a deserved victory with a breakaway goal just before the final whistle as Flitch pressed for an equaliser.

Wymondley Park U-14 0 Elsenham 1

Mitchell Seaman's goal 10 minutes from time gave Elsenham their fourth league win of the season at a windy Lucas Lane.

With Wymondley having been unable to field more than 10 men in any of their previous three matches, the home side had the luxury of a substitute this week, leaving Elsenham facing a tough task against a physically strong and imposing team.

The early exchanges were hard fought, but gradually, Wymondley began to make their strength and size count, camping themselves in the Elsenham half, but with keeper Jon Booth doing a great job of marshalling his defenders, the visitors kept them out.

With the wind behind them in the second half, Elsenham started to pose more of a threat.

Dean Clayden, Mason Duckett and Robert Smith came close for Elsenham and just as it seemed the game was likely to end in deadlock, a ball from the right found Seaman, and he struck a fierce shot across the keeper and into the far corner to give Elsenham the points.

Elsenham U-17 0 Letchworth GCE Yellows 1

A goal three minutes from time denied Elsenham a share of the spoils after a battling display against the league's second placed side Letchworth.

The home team played some nice passing football in the first half, creating a number of opportunities, which they weren't able to take.

Letchworth also had some chances, but the Elsenham back line all had very good games to keep them at bay.

The second half was a different story as Letchworth did most of the attacking. Dan Smith in the home goal pulled off some outstanding saves in a man-of-the-match performance and the whole team battled for every ball.

However, with only a few minutes left, Elsenham failed to deal with a corner, allowing Letchworth to snatch the win right at the death.

Barnston Youth U-17 1 Manford Way 7

Barnston Youth under 17s suffered a heavy defeat against last season's finalists Manford Way in the Essex Pelly Under 18 County Cup on Sunday.

From the outset a very strong Manford Way team set out to penetrate a resolute Barnston defence.

The first goal came after 15 minutes, direct from a Manford Way corner, when a high wind took the ball directly into the Barnston net.

The hosts equalised five minutes later with a well worked move and first class finish by Shane Pyne.

However, Barnston's good fortune was short-lived and despite some courageous defending, Manford Way made good use of their possession and accurate passing to add a further three goals before the interval and three more in the second half.

Walden Spirit U-13 1 Comberton Crusaders 7

Walden Spirit were defeated by a very strong Comberton Crusaders side in the first match in the League Cup group stage.

Spirit were prepared for a difficult encounter with only 10 players available, following two injuries and other players absent, fulfiling other commitments.

The hosts started well and took the lead with a well-worked goal, which saw the Comberton defence split for Issy to slot the ball home.

Comberton responded almost immediately to level the score.

Spirit, to their credit, battled continuously and created further chances but were unable to find the finishing touches while Comberton went ahead and by half-time were 3-1 in front.

Spirit made a few positional changes for the second half and a penalty was awarded for a strong tackle following a surging run from Katie Young into the penalty area, however, Issy was unable to convert.

The Spirit defence of Catrina Thom, Olivia McGuire and Lydia Grainge made some good clearances and worked extremely hard all match but with the midfield trying to help out in attack and defence the team soon tired and found the pressure too great to hold off the Crusaders who eventually won 7-1.

Dunmow Utd U-11 0 Flitch Youth 7

A solid performance from Flitch Youth led to a fine victory over Dunmow United.

An early Daniel Jacques goal began the scoring, and he completed his hat-trick in the first half hour. Sandwiched inbetween was an unfortunate own goal, and a Connor Gray close range effort from a Mattie Bull through ball, giving Flitch a 5-0 half-time lead.

The second half was far closer, and solid defending was required from Ryan Worthington and Elliot Kent.

Dan Jacques hit two more, and the Dunmow keeper made some vital saves, particularly from Bull, as Flitch recorded their best result of the season so far.

Dunmow United Stars U-10 1 Writtle Minors 0

In a game of very few chances Dunmow United managed to secure a win in the same cup competition that they won last year.

Writtle had all the chances in the game hitting the woodwork twice and the Dunmow keeper, Mitch Lonley making a number of great saves.

Windy conditions made flowing football difficult for both teams with the United defence the busier of the two.

Ollie Salmon, Dan Forbes and Ben Brown made some timely tackles, and it took until the last minute of the game for George O'Dwyer to pop up with a well- taken shot that found the net to secure the points.

Great Notley Tigers U-9 1 Dunmow United Tigers 2

Notley played host on a blustery morning to a Dunmow side who have settled into a very consistent run of form.

It was important to get the ball down and play in the conditions, and that's exactly how the visitors started with most of the action being around the Notley goalmouth.

United took the lead when Notley failed to deal with a through ball which Alex Jones pounced on and tucked in the corner beyond the keepebr.

United continued to press and had a number of chances with Lander and Capon going close to increase the lead.

United did go in at the break two goals up after Monk showed great vision to pick out George Windsor who continued his goal scoring run steering the ball into the net.

Notley edged into the game a little more in the second half and forced a number of corners. They got their reward with five minutes remaining, but United held on for a deserved win.

Burwell Tigers U-13 3 Aztecs B 4

Aztecs withstood a determined second-half comeback to take all three points and keep up the pressure on the league leaders.

Aztecs began strongly, with Anthony Phillips giving them the lead after just two minutes and Tim Jefferies adding a second before half-time.

The home side were unlucky not to score, with a header striking the crossbar and both Harry Watkins and James Jefferies making goal-line clearances, but when Patrick Sneezum turned in a close-range shot shortly after the interval, Aztecs seemed to be cruising to victory.

However, the Tigers refused to be beaten and came roaring back into the game with three goals in 15 minutes - though they also conceded a fourth when Tim Jefferies put the defence under pressure and an attempted clearance flew into the net for an own goal.

Aztecs spent most of the second half on the back foot and in the end it was only some fine saves from Ollie Jones that allowed them to hang on for victory.

Spartak 78 U-13 4 Cottenham Colts 6

A Late strike from Cottenham sent Spartak crashing to an undeserved defeat at the weekend.

Cottenham started strongly and took the lead in the third minute, soon doubling their advantage from a free-kick.

After 25 minutes a goal corner taken by Oli McRandal was neatly slotted away by Matt C, but on the stroke of half-time, Cottenham made it 3-1.

The second half saw a more determined Cottenham side come straight out and chip Spartak keeper Jamie White in the opening five minutes.

Spartak didn't let their heads drop and new signing Conor Foxall crossed to captain Harry O'Malley who found the net.

With seven minutes of play left Conor picked up a through ball, managed to pass the visitors' defence and beat the keeper to reduce the deficit and Spartak drew level when Connor fired in his second.

However deep into injury time, Cottenham broke through a muddle in Spartak's defence to take the lead and then from the final goal kick, the visitors latched on to the ball to lob the keeper and seal the victory.

Godmanchester Rovers U-15 3 Spartak 6

Spartak put their cup defeat behind them with a fine victory away at Godmanchester.

A hat-trick from Jack Baker and further goals from Jordan Parish, Ollie Webber and Keiran Hunt scored the goals that pushed Spartak up to fourth place in the league.

Soccer Skills A 5 Takeley Youth 1

Takeley's unbeaten league run came to an emphatic end as they fell to their heaviest ever defeat at the hands of top side Soccer Skills A.

The hosts adapted best and took an early lead when the Takeley defence was caught napping after just five minutes, leaving a man free at the far post to finish off a cross from the left.

Takeley regrouped and gradually began to string some moves together, with Ryan Walsh and Sam Coleman coming close.

Takeley were dominating possession at this stage, but more half-chances came and went for the visitors and their failure to score was punished by the home side five minutes before half-time when they doubled their lead.

The second half saw the home side start strongest and Green was forced to make a good save from a header following a corner. Takeley very nearly pulled a goal back from a corner of their own, when Hadfield headed onto Moore who flicked the ball over with a first time effort.

Ten minutes into the half, soccer skills effectively sealed the match when a strong break up the left wing was finished off at the second attempt after a good first save by Green.

Takeley were second best and they fell further behind when a corner from the right was curled straight into the net just past the hour mark.

At 4-0 down, Takeley continued to try and play their football, but the hosts scored their fifth goal after 75 minutes when the tiring Takeley defence were outdone by some fine dribbling and a neat finish.

The visitors plugged away and eventually got some consolation for their efforts when Little, Coleman and Buckland combined in attack and the ball fell to Troy Featherstone who scored with a firm left-foot strike.

Burwell Swallows U-13 2Saffron Walden Town A 7

The town's Young Blood's strengthened their high position in the A league on Sunday with an exciting display of attacking and free-flowing football.

Two goals from Ben Appleby, one from Marlon Green and Archie Adams gave them a four goal interval lead against Burwell.

A superb long-range effort from David Falzon made it five before a spirited and sporting Burwell outfit hit back with two quick goals.

However, any chance of a comeback was quickly ended with Daniel Bear poaching a sixth for Walden before captain Sanjay Noonan scored the best goal of the game with a thundering shot after a tremendous solo run that flew past the keeper.

Hutton U-14 2 Dunmow Rhodes 5

A great second half performance from Dunmow Rhodes saw them defeat Hutton on Sunday.

Rhodes took the lead when a free-kick taken by Thomas Gildart was slotted in coolly by captain Taylor O'Toole.

Hutton then stepped up their game and scored a goal to level, and fired in another before half-time to take the lead.

Rhodes stepped up their game in the second half and equalised through Ben Richardson with James Clayden giving them the lead.

Zach Field, O'Toole and James Stranders all found the net in the closing stages to round off the Dunmow victory.

Spartak 78 U-11 5 Sawston 2

Spartak dominated the first half against Sawston and came away with a result that was slightly flattering for the hosts.

After only a minute Ben Weedon, following a neat pass by Luca Riccio, gave Spartak the lead and five minutes later a superb cross by Joesph Whealand allowed Weedon to volley home another.

A few minutes later Elliot Olds found space to score the third.

In the second half Jesper Walker managed to tap a shot past the keeper which went in off the post. Sawston came back strongly, and pulled two goals back, but Joseph Whealand made Spartak's victory complete with a fine lob.

Arlesey Town U-11 2 Manuden Juniors 4

Manuden Juniors secured a comfortable victory over Arlesey at the weekend.

Manuden started well taking the lead and going to the break 2-0 up with goals from Callum Taylor.

Taylor added to the advantage in the second half, before Arlesey pulled two goals back.

However, Taylor claimed the three points for Manuden with his fourth goal of the game.

Sawston United Youth U-12 10 Bluntisham Rangers 0

Sawston United Youth completed a 10-0 win against Bluntisham Rangers in the Under 12 B League.

A hat-trick from Max Annetts, two each for Ben Lockhart, Charlie Irvine and Wills Abercrombie and one goal from Ryan Bass completed the scoring.

Sawston United U-10 3 Great Bardfield 2

Great Bardfield Muddogs were defeated by local rivals Sawston United on Sunday.

The deadlock was broken just before the break when a goal kick from Robinson bounced over the Sawston keeper, but United equalised from the kick-off.

Sawston took the lead in the second half, and added another to extend their advantage.

Muddogs hit back with a goal from Gliddon, but Sawston held firm to take the points.

Sawston United Youth U-9 7 Whittlesford Warriors 0

Sawston United had six different goal scorers in their 7-0 victory over Whittlesford Warriors.

The scorers were Sam Browne, Lawrence Atkins, Oliver Flack, James Dix, Liam Moir and Paddy Jelliman. The scoring was completed by a Whittlesford own goal.

A fantastic save near the end of the game from Nathan Eyres ensured the clean sheet.

Barnston U-10 4 Springfield B 0

Barnston finally found the end product to match all their effort as Christian Roles scored four goals with no reply against Springfield in Sunday's Chelmsford league match.

Playing a more attacking formation than usual Barnston seized the initiative mid-way through the first half scoring three times in a five minute purple patch.

The gusting wind made the second period slightly tighter but Barnston still created a series of chances with Roles grabbing a fourth to seal the win.

Whittlesford Warriors U-10 2 Thurlow Youth 0

A brace of goals from Daniel Carter sealed a good team performance from Whittlesford in their visit to Thurlow.

Whittlesford started brightly and some great passing released Dan Carter to score with a curling shot after five minutes.

Thurlow battled back but for most of the first half Whittlesford had the upper hand and created numerous chances.

The second half opened fairly evenly but again early in the half a good passing movement by Whittlesford led to another goal from Dan Carter.

In the last third of the game Euan Davis came on in midfield for Whittlesford and opened up the right wing winning a number of corners which Thurlow defended well against.

Again both goalkeepers were called up on to make saves with Jack Young making a particular brave save which allowed Whittlesford to keep a clean sheet.