Thrilling clash at Grove
Helen Hillson and Adrian Brown are celebrating after winning the end of season Briscoe Cup Mixed Doubles Competition at the Grove Tennis Club. They beat Paul and Claire Flynn 6-4 in a final set decider after 10 pairs had fought out a close round robin tou
Helen Hillson and Adrian Brown are celebrating after winning the end of season Briscoe Cup Mixed Doubles Competition at the Grove Tennis Club.
They beat Paul and Claire Flynn 6-4 in a final set decider after 10 pairs had fought out a close round robin tournament in two groups on a pleasant sunny day.
Another beautiful October Sunday at the Grove brought eight men's pairs together for the Wallis Cup.
A similar format to the Briscoe Cup was used but with the added hurdle of semi finals for the group winners and runners up.
You may also want to watch:
Not to be outdone by wife/mum Helen who won the Briscoe Cup, father and son team Mark and Robin Hillson swept all before them in the group stages before squeaking through a tie break in the semi finals.
They narrowly won the final in another eight-game match, 5-3, against Simon Beckwith and Adrian Brown.
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 9 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 10 Uttlesford faces 'house building assault', says leader
Both pairs had played 40 games by the end of this final match.
Unfortunately the Wallis Cup itself was not available for presentation as it had gone missing.