Thrilling clash at Grove
Helen Hillson and Adrian Brown are celebrating after winning the end of season Briscoe Cup Mixed Doubles Competition at the Grove Tennis Club. They beat Paul and Claire Flynn 6-4 in a final set decider after 10 pairs had fought out a close round robin tou
Helen Hillson and Adrian Brown are celebrating after winning the end of season Briscoe Cup Mixed Doubles Competition at the Grove Tennis Club.
They beat Paul and Claire Flynn 6-4 in a final set decider after 10 pairs had fought out a close round robin tournament in two groups on a pleasant sunny day.
Another beautiful October Sunday at the Grove brought eight men's pairs together for the Wallis Cup.
A similar format to the Briscoe Cup was used but with the added hurdle of semi finals for the group winners and runners up.
Not to be outdone by wife/mum Helen who won the Briscoe Cup, father and son team Mark and Robin Hillson swept all before them in the group stages before squeaking through a tie break in the semi finals.
They narrowly won the final in another eight-game match, 5-3, against Simon Beckwith and Adrian Brown.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 A giant snail, sporting success and live music: school news
- 3 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 4 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 7 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 8 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 9 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 10 Aythorpe Roding come up short in league opener
Both pairs had played 40 games by the end of this final match.
Unfortunately the Wallis Cup itself was not available for presentation as it had gone missing.