Thrilling clash at Grove
Helen Hillson and Adrian Brown are celebrating after winning the end of season Briscoe Cup Mixed Doubles Competition at the Grove Tennis Club. They beat Paul and Claire Flynn 6-4 in a final set decider after 10 pairs had fought out a close round robin tou
Helen Hillson and Adrian Brown are celebrating after winning the end of season Briscoe Cup Mixed Doubles Competition at the Grove Tennis Club.
They beat Paul and Claire Flynn 6-4 in a final set decider after 10 pairs had fought out a close round robin tournament in two groups on a pleasant sunny day.
Another beautiful October Sunday at the Grove brought eight men's pairs together for the Wallis Cup.
A similar format to the Briscoe Cup was used but with the added hurdle of semi finals for the group winners and runners up.
You may also want to watch:
Not to be outdone by wife/mum Helen who won the Briscoe Cup, father and son team Mark and Robin Hillson swept all before them in the group stages before squeaking through a tie break in the semi finals.
They narrowly won the final in another eight-game match, 5-3, against Simon Beckwith and Adrian Brown.
- 1 New Dunmow and Barnston vicar thanks community for their warm welcome
- 2 TSB closes Dunmow branch
- 3 Dunmow and Stansted councillors not in new Essex County Council cabinet
- 4 New on-call firefighters have joined stations
- 5 Man sentenced after admitting two charges of sexual assault
- 6 Prisoner of war camp a 'huge part' of Essex's history
- 7 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 8 New cycle network consultation announced
- 9 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 10 Summer art competition for children launched by school
Both pairs had played 40 games by the end of this final match.
Unfortunately the Wallis Cup itself was not available for presentation as it had gone missing.