Tennis club talents on show on successful finals day
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Tennis Club held their summer junior and adult tennis tournament finals day on Sunday.
The juniors kicked off proceedings with the mini reds (aged eight and under) and Ryan Bott beat Luke Beer.
The mini orange (age nine and under) saw Jack Macro beat Thomas Chapman.
Paige Bott took the girls’ 14 and under title by defeating Emilia Kings and the boys’ 14 and under winner was Leon Roelleke who saw off Alex Peirson.
David Guy claimed a 6-2 6-3 success over Will Coup in the boys’ 18 and under final.
The standard of tennis shown by the juniors was superb all round with some excellent rallies.
Thirty two players entered the five adult tournaments; men’s singles and doubles, ladies’ singles and doubles and mixed doubles with early round matches starting in May.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 A giant snail, sporting success and live music: school news
- 3 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 4 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 5 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 6 Life-saving kit that residents hope they will never use
- 7 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 8 Musical theatre stars to bring the West End to Saffron Walden in celebration of Rodgers & Hammerstein
- 9 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 10 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
Partners were determined by names being pulled out of a hat.
There was a good turnout of spectators enticed by both the tennis and barbecue for the finals.
The adult day began with both singles matches.
First to win was Charlotte Wigmore who triumphed 6-2 6-1 over Emily Ward.
The men’s singles was won by David Guy for the second year, who beat Charlie Brown 6-3 6-3.
Both the men’s and ladies doubles matches went to three sets with nail biting tennis.
Will Coup/Richard Boeve beat David Guy/Peter Brooks 6-3, 5-7, 6-2, and Emily Ward/Sandra Bell beat Tina Oakey/Jo Peirson 4-6, 6-1, 6-2.
Finally, the mixed doubles tournament was won by David Guy/Jo Peirson against Charlie Brown/Judy Dickenson 6-4 6-1.