Team come away with win
Upminster V 2 Saffron Walden VI 3 Saffron Walden sixths twice came from behind to defeat Upminster on Saturday. The hosts took the lead early on from a penalty corner, but Walden equalised when Alfie Smith drove along the back line and flicked in the rebo
Upminster V 2
Saffron Walden VI 3
Saffron Walden sixths twice came from behind to defeat Upminster on Saturday.
The hosts took the lead early on from a penalty corner, but Walden equalised when Alfie Smith drove along the back line and flicked in the rebound after his first shot had come back off the keeper.
However, Upminster went in front again before Fraser Hill brought Saffron Walden level again before half-time.
The second half saw chances at both ends and the Upminster keeper blocked a number of penalty corner attempts.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 Parishes join forces to oppose 'unsustainable' housing idea near Hatfield Heath
- 4 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 5 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 6 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 7 Uttlesford elects its first female leader in council's 47-year history
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
It was Walden who made the breakthrough once again though, as Ed Wiseman fired in from close range in the closing stages to give his side the victory.
Old Southendians IV 1 Dunmow II 2
A depleted Dunmow seconds recorded an important away win in this top of the table clash away at Old Southendians.
The home side went into the break one up, but some strong words and reorganisation from Dunmow skipper Farr led to more possession in the second half.
Dunmow winger Taylor scored twice at the far post to reward their domination and secure the points that take the visitors to the top of the league table on goal difference.
- There was a disappointing set of results for the high section of the Saffron Walden men's teams at the weekend.
The first team lost 1-0 against Witham, the seconds 4-3 to Harlow, and the thirds were on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline against Brentwood thirds.
Witham thirds defeated Walden fourths 7-2, the fifths were beaten 3-1 by Brentwood fifths, but there was better news for the sevenths who hammered Thurrock thirds 10-1.
The ladies first team kept up their fine run with a 7-2 victory over Hadleigh, but the seconds were beaten 5-4 by Hertford.