Team come away with win
Upminster V 2 Saffron Walden VI 3 Saffron Walden sixths twice came from behind to defeat Upminster on Saturday. The hosts took the lead early on from a penalty corner, but Walden equalised when Alfie Smith drove along the back line and flicked in the rebo
Upminster V 2
Saffron Walden VI 3
Saffron Walden sixths twice came from behind to defeat Upminster on Saturday.
The hosts took the lead early on from a penalty corner, but Walden equalised when Alfie Smith drove along the back line and flicked in the rebound after his first shot had come back off the keeper.
However, Upminster went in front again before Fraser Hill brought Saffron Walden level again before half-time.
The second half saw chances at both ends and the Upminster keeper blocked a number of penalty corner attempts.
- 1 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 2 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
- 3 How the proposed energy price cap changes could affect your bills
- 4 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 5 Visit Great Yarmouth for a family staycation
- 6 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 7 Dunmow Velo: New group ride for beginners as RideLondon due
- 8 Jailed: 'Selfish' 135mph driver spotted speeding on M11 near Woodford
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
It was Walden who made the breakthrough once again though, as Ed Wiseman fired in from close range in the closing stages to give his side the victory.
Old Southendians IV 1 Dunmow II 2
A depleted Dunmow seconds recorded an important away win in this top of the table clash away at Old Southendians.
The home side went into the break one up, but some strong words and reorganisation from Dunmow skipper Farr led to more possession in the second half.
Dunmow winger Taylor scored twice at the far post to reward their domination and secure the points that take the visitors to the top of the league table on goal difference.
- There was a disappointing set of results for the high section of the Saffron Walden men's teams at the weekend.
The first team lost 1-0 against Witham, the seconds 4-3 to Harlow, and the thirds were on the wrong end of a 5-2 scoreline against Brentwood thirds.
Witham thirds defeated Walden fourths 7-2, the fifths were beaten 3-1 by Brentwood fifths, but there was better news for the sevenths who hammered Thurrock thirds 10-1.
The ladies first team kept up their fine run with a 7-2 victory over Hadleigh, but the seconds were beaten 5-4 by Hertford.