Takeley see off Eton boys
- Credit: Archant
First half goals from Alex Martin, James Mayes and Michael Ogboin handed Takeley a 3-1 Essex Senior League Premier Division win over Eton Manor.
Tuesday night’s win was Duncan Easley’s side’s third league victory in a row following on from triumphs over FC Romania and Tower Hamlets.
Eton Manor missed numerous chances to take the lead in the first 23 minutes of this match at Station Road on a perfect playing surface.
On 23 minutes Takeley captain Martin scored a stunning goal.
On the turn he smacked in a low shot with his left foot to the rapture of youngsters watching from the main stand.
You may also want to watch:
Now inspired, the hosts turned up the heat and Sam Warren, the Manor goalkeeper stunned his team, he fluffed a first attempt before pushing the ball into the path of Mayes who made no mistake as he slipped Takeley into a two goal lead on 28 minutes.
Two minutes later a low shot from Martin’s free-kick was another nearly moment for Takeley.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
A retake of a free-kick by the visitors on the edge of the penalty box in the 36th minute came to nothing and the home side returned to worry the Eton Manor back line.
Only in the 44th minute did the visitors have any further chance.
Nasir Ibrahim fired in a shot, which Takeley keeper Sam Haywood smothered.
Back up field Ogboin hit his seventh goal on his fourth appearance for Takeley with a cracking shot to make it 3-0 at half-time.
In the second half Eton Manor went close, but Chad Onokwai belted his his shot at Haywood.
Nasir Ibrahim sailed past Jordan Westcott and a superb block by Josh Jewson kept Manor out.
On 70 minutes Onokwai finally broke the visitors duck with an opportune attempt, but it was to be little more than a consolation as Takeley held out for the 3-1 victory.