Takeley see off Eton boys
- Credit: Archant
First half goals from Alex Martin, James Mayes and Michael Ogboin handed Takeley a 3-1 Essex Senior League Premier Division win over Eton Manor.
Tuesday night’s win was Duncan Easley’s side’s third league victory in a row following on from triumphs over FC Romania and Tower Hamlets.
Eton Manor missed numerous chances to take the lead in the first 23 minutes of this match at Station Road on a perfect playing surface.
On 23 minutes Takeley captain Martin scored a stunning goal.
On the turn he smacked in a low shot with his left foot to the rapture of youngsters watching from the main stand.
Now inspired, the hosts turned up the heat and Sam Warren, the Manor goalkeeper stunned his team, he fluffed a first attempt before pushing the ball into the path of Mayes who made no mistake as he slipped Takeley into a two goal lead on 28 minutes.
Two minutes later a low shot from Martin’s free-kick was another nearly moment for Takeley.
- 1 What I Learnt From My Grandmother in photographs and banners
- 2 Prime Minister's honour for Dunmow duo
- 3 Pictures: The Great Dunmow Summer Solstice Sundown Festival
- 4 Delayed Local Plan sparks Uttlesford development fears
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow thunderstorm warning for East of England
- 6 Solar farm application decision is deferred
- 7 School activities and sports in pictures
- 8 Bank of England warns people have 100 days to use old £20 and £50 notes
- 9 Hot cyclists reach Paris after 3 days of pedalling
- 10 Careless driver was 'using phone' when she killed Cambridge cyclist
A retake of a free-kick by the visitors on the edge of the penalty box in the 36th minute came to nothing and the home side returned to worry the Eton Manor back line.
Only in the 44th minute did the visitors have any further chance.
Nasir Ibrahim fired in a shot, which Takeley keeper Sam Haywood smothered.
Back up field Ogboin hit his seventh goal on his fourth appearance for Takeley with a cracking shot to make it 3-0 at half-time.
In the second half Eton Manor went close, but Chad Onokwai belted his his shot at Haywood.
Nasir Ibrahim sailed past Jordan Westcott and a superb block by Josh Jewson kept Manor out.
On 70 minutes Onokwai finally broke the visitors duck with an opportune attempt, but it was to be little more than a consolation as Takeley held out for the 3-1 victory.