Takeley’s five game losing league run ends
- Credit: Archant
Takeley have ended a five-match losing streak in the Essex Senior League.
Duncan Easley’s side secured an overdue 2-1 home win over Enfield 1893 on Tuesday night to pick up their first league triumph since the 2-1 victory over bottom of the table side Greenhouse London on September 13.
Takeley, who had been beaten 5-0 at London Bari on Saturday, stormed out of the blocks in what was to be their first home success in the league this term.
On 10 minutes Alex Martin fired in a 25-yard free-kick.
He turned provider just two minutes later as his corner picked out man of the match Greig Taylor who doubled the hosts’ advantage.
You may also want to watch:
Enfield pulled a goal back on 24 minutes through George Ironton who netted from 12 yards and it remained 2-1 at the break.
The second half saw the home side go close to restoring a two-goal cushion.
- 1 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
- 2 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 3 More work needed ahead of holiday easing, Stansted says
- 4 Super six for High Easter as they turn on the style against Coggeshall Town youngsters
- 5 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 6 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 7 Take away Covid self tests from Thaxted library
- 8 Care at home: what is it, and how can it help?
- 9 Ambitious and fast-growing High Roding raring to go ahead of new season
- 10 Things to do on the May Bank Holiday weekend: Essex gardens are open
Billy Osborne forced Enfield keeper Brad Robinson to make a superb save as he turned the ball behind.
Robinson was then tested again as Taylor broke through looking for his second of the evening, but the keeper saved well.
At the other end the visitors were unable to get back level and their cause was not helped when they were reduced to 10 men.
Aaron James collected a second yellow card and was sent off.
Takeley almost added a third goal late on, however Jake Buckland’s thundering drive from 35 yards skimmed the crossbar on its way over the top.
The home side went on to see out the remainder of the game to claim their third league win of the season.
The result left Takeley 15th in the table with 11 points from 12 games.
Takeley host 11th placed side Southend Manor on Saturday in the league, kick-off 3pm, before travelling to face Redbridge on Tuesday in the Essex Senior Cup.