Takeley’s five game losing league run ends
- Credit: Archant
Takeley have ended a five-match losing streak in the Essex Senior League.
Duncan Easley’s side secured an overdue 2-1 home win over Enfield 1893 on Tuesday night to pick up their first league triumph since the 2-1 victory over bottom of the table side Greenhouse London on September 13.
Takeley, who had been beaten 5-0 at London Bari on Saturday, stormed out of the blocks in what was to be their first home success in the league this term.
On 10 minutes Alex Martin fired in a 25-yard free-kick.
He turned provider just two minutes later as his corner picked out man of the match Greig Taylor who doubled the hosts’ advantage.
You may also want to watch:
Enfield pulled a goal back on 24 minutes through George Ironton who netted from 12 yards and it remained 2-1 at the break.
The second half saw the home side go close to restoring a two-goal cushion.
- 1 Uttlesford Covid case rates decline means they are now the lowest in Essex
- 2 Covid-19 fast-testing centre opens in Uttlesford for asymptomatic residents
- 3 Red engraved gem from iron ring is older than was previously thought
- 4 New Local Plan: 'Housing and transport should be planned together'
- 5 Council row over near £1 million underspend on road repairs
- 6 Beavers help with Finchingfield's 'worst flood in 20 years'
- 7 Broomfield staff facing a 'battlefield scenario' in Covid fight
- 8 Dozens of illegal fishing nets and traps seized during pandemic
- 9 Housing sites sought by Uttlesford District Council
- 10 Seventh flood in Great Bardfield breaks pavement
Billy Osborne forced Enfield keeper Brad Robinson to make a superb save as he turned the ball behind.
Robinson was then tested again as Taylor broke through looking for his second of the evening, but the keeper saved well.
At the other end the visitors were unable to get back level and their cause was not helped when they were reduced to 10 men.
Aaron James collected a second yellow card and was sent off.
Takeley almost added a third goal late on, however Jake Buckland’s thundering drive from 35 yards skimmed the crossbar on its way over the top.
The home side went on to see out the remainder of the game to claim their third league win of the season.
The result left Takeley 15th in the table with 11 points from 12 games.
Takeley host 11th placed side Southend Manor on Saturday in the league, kick-off 3pm, before travelling to face Redbridge on Tuesday in the Essex Senior Cup.