Takeley’s Cole sets eyes on Newcastle United striker’s goal tally
- Credit: Archant
It’s not been a bad birthday week for Takeley striker Charlie Cole.
The Essex Senior League’s leading scorer has now hit a half-century of goals for the season.
Speaking to the Broadcast on the day he turned 23, Cole revealed his birthday wish was to better a target set by the current Newcastle United number nine.
“I think Dwight Gayle has the Essex Senior League scoring record with 57 playing for Stansted in 2010/11, so I’m looking to beat that,” he said.
“I’m really enjoying my football with Takeley, but have always wanted to play for a living; if the opportunity came I’d snap it up.”
Takeley beat Sporting Bengal United 2-0 on Saturday in the league to stay fourth, with Cole netting a brace.
He then also grabbed both goals in Tuesday’s 2-0 Gordon Brasted Memorial Trophy quarter-final triumph over Ilford to reach the 50-mark.
- 1 Festive season begins at Great Dunmow's Christmas Market
- 2 30 new homes proposed for Hatfield Broad Oak
- 3 Thaxted community in shock after fatal house fire
- 4 Katie Price alleged assault: Suspect 'released under investigation'
- 5 Calvin Harris, David Guetta and Fatboy Slim announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 6 Christmas festivities kick off in Great Dunmow
- 7 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 8 Villagers rally behind Elsenham Christmas Market
- 9 Stansted Airport calls for residents' views on solar transformation plan
- 10 Will there be a White Christmas in Essex this year?
Cole said: “At the start of the season I thought I could score 50 if I stayed fit.
“I played half a season last year and got 24 [with Sawbridgeworth Town] before moving to Thurrock.”
His time with the Ryman League Division One North side did not work out, so he returned to play for Marc Das in his first season with Takeley.
“The lads are fantastic here,” he said.
“They have made it easy for me to score goals, they have been great.
“At the start of the season we aimed for a top four finish.
“The manager has put together a good team; we have only lost twice since October/November time and are in two cup semi-finals and we will be looking to win both.”
Takeley have four games left of the league season starting with Burnham Ramblers at home on Saturday.
Cole will be looking to close in on Gayle’s target in those, while there are also the cup games to come.
Looking ahead to next term, Cole added: “Next season we will look to keep all the lads together, if we do I think we can go for the title.
“I would love to stay and push for promotion next season with the lads, we’ll see.”