Takeley maintain unbeaten streak by defeating Sawbridgeworth
- Credit: Archant
Takeley stretched their unbeaten Essex Senior League streak to eight games with Saturday’s 2-0 home victory over Sawbridgeworth.
The hosts took the lead on 20 minutes as captain Alex Martin planted a terrific free-kick into the net from 20 yards.
Sawbridgeworth’s Will Green looked dangerous every time he broke through on the left, but Jordan Westcott prevented any breakthrough.
The away side had their chances to level as Green’s attempt on 23 minutes was blocked by the feet of Takeley keeper Sam Haywood.
Charlie Cole messed up a chance with a shot that curled out wide and a threatening high lob, which was heading under the bar, was pushed away by Haywood just before the break.
Midway through the second half Sawbridgeworth were reduced to 10 men as Jason Todd picked up a second yellow card.
Despite being a man down, the visitors continued to attack and Cole went close a minute later.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 3 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 4 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 5 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 6 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 7 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 8 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 9 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 10 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
However, the game was wrapped up as Michael Ogboin netted his 11th goal in eight games as he outpaced his marker and beat the keeper.