Takeley maintain unbeaten streak by defeating Sawbridgeworth
- Credit: Archant
Takeley stretched their unbeaten Essex Senior League streak to eight games with Saturday’s 2-0 home victory over Sawbridgeworth.
The hosts took the lead on 20 minutes as captain Alex Martin planted a terrific free-kick into the net from 20 yards.
Sawbridgeworth’s Will Green looked dangerous every time he broke through on the left, but Jordan Westcott prevented any breakthrough.
The away side had their chances to level as Green’s attempt on 23 minutes was blocked by the feet of Takeley keeper Sam Haywood.
Charlie Cole messed up a chance with a shot that curled out wide and a threatening high lob, which was heading under the bar, was pushed away by Haywood just before the break.
You may also want to watch:
Midway through the second half Sawbridgeworth were reduced to 10 men as Jason Todd picked up a second yellow card.
Despite being a man down, the visitors continued to attack and Cole went close a minute later.
- 1 Town council challenges water softening decision
- 2 Lionel the Giant Perch is 'the perfect addition'
- 3 Takeley virtual consultation opens
- 4 Ram-raid gang member absconds from Suffolk jail
- 5 Dunmow tributes to Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh
- 6 Lockdown easing: 'Shop abuse will not be tolerated'
- 7 They're record breakers! Self-test attracts worldwide support
- 8 Dunmow businesses delighted to be back as lockdown eases
- 9 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 10 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
However, the game was wrapped up as Michael Ogboin netted his 11th goal in eight games as he outpaced his marker and beat the keeper.