Takeley keeper sees red in bad tempered Burnham match

AN EARLY but hotly disputed sending off resulted in Takeley FC crashing to a 5-1 defeat against Burnham Ramblers on Saturday.

With the score locked on 1-1 and both sides still well in the match Takeley keeper Nick Wilson was shown a red card after an altercation with Burnham-man Bradley Nobbs.

Wilson had been fouled by Nobbs and suffered a nasty cut on his neck. Angry he then stood up and shoved Nobbs before referee Nick Smith stepped in to break up the pair.

Despite a seemingly equal part in the fight Nobbs only received a yellow, incensing the Takeley players and supporters who had made the 40-mile trip.

The dismissal turned the tide against a Takeley side who still have not registered any points so far this season in the Essex Senior League.

Before the mayhem the visitors actually took the lead on nine minutes courtesy of Joe Galsworthy strike inside the Burnham box.

But a sustained period of pressure saw the home side equalise 15 minutes later.

Most Read

Wilson then saw red and deputy Mark Watters took up his position between the sticks.

As tempers flared and tackles reigned in, Takeley managed to hold on until two minutes before half time.

Out of nowhere Dean Strutt struck a magnificent volley into the top left hand corner of the net with Watters completely stranded.

From then on it was tough going for Takeley, a couple of chances came and went, but it was only a matter of time before Burnham sealed the win.

On 65 minutes Billy Hunt ran clear of the visitor’s defence and cracked home a stunning shot to make it 3-1.

Four minutes later Michael Redmond, who had scored the equaliser when both teams were at full strength, scored his second with a snap shot from the edge of the box.

Burnham finished the job with five minutes left. A miss-kick by Charlie Pollard was punished and Nick Green upended James Gillingham in the penalty area.

Redmond sealed his hat trick from the resulting spot kick to make it 5-1.

Takeley are second from bottom in the league but will be eager to record a first win away to Barking this Saturday. Kick off is at 3pm.

They then travel to Barking again on Tuesday for an Essex Senior Cup game starting at 7.45pm.