Takeley impress in friendly clash
Takeley 3 Hertford Heath 0 Takeley put in an impressive second half performance to defeat Hertfordshire County Premier Division side Hertford Heath on Saturday in a pre-season friendly. Manager Don Watters was delighted with his side. We have been playin
Takeley 3 Hertford Heath 0
Takeley put in an impressive second half performance to defeat Hertfordshire County Premier Division side Hertford Heath on Saturday in a pre-season friendly.
Manager Don Watters was delighted with his side.
"We have been playing well in patches but on Saturday we were strong all game," he said.
You may also want to watch:
"We battled in the first half against a good side and in the second half our fitness showed and we pushed on.
"Daryl Lynch played up front on his return from injury and looked good and we looked a better side with him up there.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 3 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 4 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 6 4 English Heritage events to enjoy at Audley End this summer
- 7 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 8 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 9 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
"He's a bit raw but has been scoring goals in local leagues and will be a good asset to us.
"It was a very good all round performance. We looked solid at the back and it was only a matter of time before we scored going forward."
The visitors had the best of the first half at Station Road and went close when Dan Perry fired a cracking drive from 25 yards against the upright. However, Takeley defended well and the teams went in level at half-time.
Takeley upped the pressure in the second half and in the 70th minute Josh Colson saw his effort cannon off the post.
Five minutes later, the hosts were ahead when Danny Wardle beat two Heath defenders and the goalkeeper to walk the ball into the net.
The final quarter of an hour belonged to the Station Road team and they doubled their lead after 85 minutes when James Whitbread latched onto Jon Tann's cross and beat the Heath goalkeeper.
Takeley drove forward from the kick-off and Tann took an opportune drive from Whitbread's pass that skimmed the bar. Takeley wrapped the game up in the last minute when Whitbread grabbed his second.