Takeley hit seven to reach cup quarter-final
- Credit: Archant
Takeley showed no sign of rustiness as they extended their unbeaten run to 10 game by storming to a 7-0 home win on Tuesday night in what was their first match for almost four weeks.
Following an enforced break, worsened by Saturday’s postponed Essex Senior League clash with Basildon United, Takeley could have been forgiven for a slow start in the League Challenge Cup second round clash with Haringey & Waltham.
However, Marc Das’ team showed no ill-effects from a lack of recent competitive action.
The hosts led 4-0 at half-time in their first game of 2017 against the side they had defeated 8-1 in their previous game back on December 21.
That night Takeley star striker Charlie Cole bagged five goals and he struck twice in the first half to add to two opening efforts from Mitchell Das.
Following the interval Cole, the league’s joint leading scorer, completed his hat-trick to take his season’s tally to 33 and a scoring streak of 14 goals in five games, with 11 of those coming in three matches with Haringey & Waltham.
The rout was rounded off with Reece Barratt and Jason Todd finding the back of the net.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Fight breaks out near Great Notley as man reportedly seen with a gun
- 3 Pets' Corner news: Winter Walkies for St Clare
- 4 Essex Young Farmers celebrate Plough Sunday with Thaxted tractor run
- 5 Penalty save and late winner moves High Easter up the table
- 6 Proposed law which sparked Saffron Walden protests suffers House of Lords defeat
- 7 Sunday's event for the 100 year anniversary of village hall
- 8 Things to do in Essex February 2022
- 9 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 10 Fears that Covid may cause Essex hospital staffing to get ‘very difficult’
The emphatic result saw Takeley cruise into the quarter-final where they will next face either Enfield 1893 or Wadham Lodge.
Takeley will look to extend their unbeaten streak to 11 games when they return to league action this Saturday as they host Waltham Forest at Station Road.