Takeley down United to progress in cup
- Credit: Archant
Takeley moved into the second round of the Essex Senior League Challenge Cup with a 2-1 victory over Sporting Bengal United at Station Road on Tuesday.
Duncan Easley’s side will face Greenhouse Sports next in the competition with a place in the quarter-finals at stake.
The manager is pleased with his side’s recent form as their goal threat has returned.
He told the Broadcast: “We had a spell where we were struggling to score goals and if you don’t do that you don’t win games.
“Mike Ogboin has come back to the club and Alex Martin is fit again and we are scoring goals.
You may also want to watch:
“We have a chance of winning games as we are now looking more threatening so are moving in the right direction.”
Takeley went ahead against Sporting in the first half as Ogboin found himself with just the keeper to beat, he rounded him and converted.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 3 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 4 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 5 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
With 20 minutes to go of the game Lewis Endacott headed home a Martin corner to double the advantage.
The visitors pulled one back from Yacine Teladjati with 10 minutes to go.
Takeley keeper Sam Haywood made a smart stop late on as United were denied an equaliser and then had Tunde Adewunmi sent off moments before the final whistle as they were knocked out of the competition.
On Saturday Takeley were denied all three points late on in their 2-2 home Essex Senior League draw with Eton Manor.
Leading 2-1, with goals for Alex Marton and Glenn O’Hanlon, the hosts conceded in injury time to be denied the victory.
Easley said: “We had enough chances to kill the game off in the second half, they didn’t look like scoring but got the late one.”
On Saturday Takeley are in league action as they play host to Ilford.