Takeley defeat Basildon United
- Credit: Archant
Takeley’s long wait for three points has finally come to an end.
Following six weeks of postponements, which had seen them play just one game, Duncan Easley’s men took to the field and came away with an Essex Senior League Premier Division victory at Basildon United last Wednesday.
The three points, their first since November 15, were secured courtesy of second half goals from Andy Reed and Ebenezer Gyane.
Once settled, the visiting defence was solid and supply to the attacking players broke open the back line of Basildon.
So many opportunities were missed by both teams in the first 20 minutes, it appeared that any breakthrough by either outfit would secure the win on a pitch that was chopped up and required a late inspection that incurred a 10 minute delay for the start.
You may also want to watch:
Mike Ogboin had two chances to give Takeley a first half lead, but failed to take advantage.
Joe Ryan was booked 10 minutes after the restart for the away side after a foul.
- 1 WATCH: Thaxted Morris Men dance together again
- 2 School thanks 'Super Trouper' Carol
- 3 More than 200 people join the search for missing A120 cat, Daisy
- 4 School class in Dunmow wins national award
- 5 Garden restoration project joy after public appeal help
- 6 Essex's Ben Maher takes Tokyo 2020 gold
- 7 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 8 Incredible undefeated season at first time of asking for Dunmow Rovers U7 Tigers
- 9 In this week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on Thursday August 5
- 10 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
Craig Gillam had a sure fire chance to put the hosts in front, but the solid defence cleared the ball off the goal line.
The deadlock was broken in the 65th minute as a free-kick found Reed and he speared the ball into the net.
Takeley looked confident at the back and were able to keep the Basildon forwards at bay.
Takeley replaced scorer Reed, who had picked up a knock, with 10 minutes to play and introduced Gyane.
Just five minutes after joining the game he added Takeley’s second.
More misery was to follow for the hosts as Mike Finneran collected a second yellow card and recieved his marching orders as Takeley ran out as winners.