Takeley chopped down by Wood
Takeley 0 Harold Wood 1 Takeley s final home game of the season ended in disappointing fashion on Saturday as Harold Wood came out on top in a heated Essex Olympian League Senior Division One encounter. It took almost 20 minutes for the game to come alive
Takeley 0 Harold Wood 1
Takeley's final home game of the season ended in disappointing fashion on Saturday as Harold Wood came out on top in a heated Essex Olympian League Senior Division One encounter.
It took almost 20 minutes for the game to come alive and it was a superb save from Danny Demetriou, by Alan Ratis, as he tipped a drive over the bar.
Grant Wedlock fired in a shot to test the visitors' goalkeeper, but Ratis was in place to save the day.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors had a chance of their own when Dwayne Miller sprinted down the right wing and fired in a 20-yard shot, but Phil Tansey was equal to it, ensuring the teams went in level at the break.
Dan Wardle had the opportunity to put the home side in front in the second half after a fine build up from Charlie Pollard, James Quilter and Grant Wedlock, but Wardle took a wild swing and the ball went wide.
- 1 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 2 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 3 Residents hand water to stranded drivers after fatal M11 crash
- 4 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 5 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
- 6 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 7 This week's paper: Dunmow Broadcast on July 22, 2021
- 8 Coronavirus rates in Essex are doubling every 10 days
- 9 Hailstones 'the size of golf balls' batter gardens in Essex
- 10 Fun T2 cricket match and BBQ help to celebrate Dunmow's 125th anniversary
Just short of the hour mark the visitors took the lead. Miller swung a ball across the Takeley goalmouth for Leke Thanda, but he lost his footing and completely missed the ball. However, Darren Brown was on hand to force the ball into the net, after a goalmouth scramble.
The game deteriorated into scuffles and on 74 minutes Takeley escaped going further behind, as the visitors created a move following a quick breakaway.
Following a delay for an injury received by Dan Harding, the dying seconds were hampered by a melee near to the Takeley left wing defending corner flag as Leke Thanda lost his cool. Order was finally restored and shortly afterwards the referee blew for full-time.