Takeley book place in Essex Senior League Cup last four
- Credit: Archant
Takeley will travel to Basildon United for the Essex Senior League Cup semi-final after knocking out Wadham Lodge on Tuesday night.
Despite not having played a match for three weeks due to games being postponed, Takeley claimed a 2-0 quarter-final success courtesy of Mike Ogboin’s brace.
Player-caretaker manager Alex Martin, who began his duel role in January, told the Broadcast: “It was probably the best performance we have put in since I’ve taken over as Wadham Lodge are a top team with a lot of pace.”
Martin was delighted with the performance of striker Ogboin who converted a first half penalty, won by the player-manager, before collecting Joe Ryan’s pass, rounding the keeper and tucking in a second after the break.
“Big Mike was unplayable, he was brilliant up there. We just tried to rally around him,” said the manager, who has seen his side lose just once in eight games in charge with his troops winning four of their last five encounters.
The final four clash will see Takeley travel to a United side who sit third in the league table, but who Takeley defeated 3-0 away in November.
“Basildon will offer a different test to Wadham Lodge,” said Martin.
- 1 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 2 110 homes near Stansted Airport: design and details approved
- 3 Stebbing Tractor Run: This is the new route for 2022
- 4 Major supermarkets order urgent product recalls over salmonella fears
- 5 10,000 signatures reached against Essex mega-prison proposal
- 6 Recap: A120 reopens near Stansted Airport after 'police incident'
- 7 Things to do in Essex this June
- 8 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 9 How to celebrate the Queen's Platinum Jubilee in Essex
- 10 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
“They are a really experienced team, but it is a semi-final and we have as much chance of winning as them.
“We’ll be trying now to get to the final and climb as far up the league table as we can.
“I’ve been at the club eight years and we’ve not been to a final in that time so it would be great for everyone at the club if we got there.”
Takeley head to Waltham Forest on Saturday looking to play their first league game since a 1-1 draw away to Sporting Bengal United on February 13.