Takeley beaten at Basildon
Basildon United 2 Takeley 1 TAKELEY FC slipped to a narrow defeat at Basildon United on Tuesday night in the Essex Senior League. Takeley took time to adapt to the poor pitch and Basildon took advantage by taking the lead after two minutes when W
Basildon United 2
TAKELEY FC slipped to a narrow defeat at Basildon United on Tuesday night in the Essex Senior League.
Takeley took time to adapt to the poor pitch and Basildon took advantage by taking the lead after two minutes when Wes Bocking dribbled his way past the defence and slotted the ball into the net.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors thought they had levelled the scores 10 minutes later, but Louis Bristow's fine effort was ruled out by the referee for an alleged handball in the build up by Mark Watters.
For 20 minutes neither team made much progress, but in the 40th minute Bristow had a shot saved by keeper Sharman which ensured Basildon went in at half-time with a slender advantage.
- 1 Pets Corner: It's time to get your dog back to training class
- 2 Chelmsford beer festival cancelled for 2021 by Covid concerns
- 3 Revealed: The progress made so far to create a new business park
- 4 Braintree council installs further electric vehicle charging points
- 5 Revealed: almost 300 possible new development sites are submitted
- 6 7 of the prettiest villages in north-west Essex
- 7 Dunmow mayor sets out summer programme set to unite community
- 8 Lamborghini v Ferrari at Petrolheadonism.Club's Supercar Sunday event at The Warren Estate in Essex
- 9 In pictures: Uttlesford pupils' fun before the summer holidays
- 10 Stebbing on the verge of becoming 'small town', residents fear
Takeley drew level two minutes into the second half. Alex Martin was fouled on the edge of the box and Michael Kennedy sent the resulting free-kick into the net.
Both sides had chances to take the lead, but it was Basildon who scored the winner after 72 minutes when Bocking picked up a loose ball and fired past James May.
Takeley host Burnham Ramblers tonight (Thursday) and visit Clapton on Saturday.