Takeley beaten at Basildon
Basildon United 2 Takeley 1 TAKELEY FC slipped to a narrow defeat at Basildon United on Tuesday night in the Essex Senior League. Takeley took time to adapt to the poor pitch and Basildon took advantage by taking the lead after two minutes when W
Basildon United 2
TAKELEY FC slipped to a narrow defeat at Basildon United on Tuesday night in the Essex Senior League.
Takeley took time to adapt to the poor pitch and Basildon took advantage by taking the lead after two minutes when Wes Bocking dribbled his way past the defence and slotted the ball into the net.
The visitors thought they had levelled the scores 10 minutes later, but Louis Bristow's fine effort was ruled out by the referee for an alleged handball in the build up by Mark Watters.
For 20 minutes neither team made much progress, but in the 40th minute Bristow had a shot saved by keeper Sharman which ensured Basildon went in at half-time with a slender advantage.
- 1 Teen arrested for 'terrorism offences' at Stansted Airport
- 2 Creamfields South 2023 festival dates announced for Hylands Park
- 3 Tributes paid to 'much respected' Great Dunmow Town Band leader Andy King
- 4 Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners make the most of the summer sun
- 5 Town's annual meeting: Dr's Pond, RideLondon, parking issues
- 6 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 7 Aythorpe Roding earn welcome win, seven-up for Dunmow
- 8 Can you complete the Census 2021 map game?
- 9 Harmer's career-best haul helps Essex stun Hampshire
- 10 KidzFair in Great Dunmow was a huge success for young entrepreneurs
Takeley drew level two minutes into the second half. Alex Martin was fouled on the edge of the box and Michael Kennedy sent the resulting free-kick into the net.
Both sides had chances to take the lead, but it was Basildon who scored the winner after 72 minutes when Bocking picked up a loose ball and fired past James May.
Takeley host Burnham Ramblers tonight (Thursday) and visit Clapton on Saturday.