Takeley beaten at Basildon
Basildon United 2 Takeley 1 TAKELEY FC slipped to a narrow defeat at Basildon United on Tuesday night in the Essex Senior League. Takeley took time to adapt to the poor pitch and Basildon took advantage by taking the lead after two minutes when W
Basildon United 2
TAKELEY FC slipped to a narrow defeat at Basildon United on Tuesday night in the Essex Senior League.
Takeley took time to adapt to the poor pitch and Basildon took advantage by taking the lead after two minutes when Wes Bocking dribbled his way past the defence and slotted the ball into the net.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors thought they had levelled the scores 10 minutes later, but Louis Bristow's fine effort was ruled out by the referee for an alleged handball in the build up by Mark Watters.
For 20 minutes neither team made much progress, but in the 40th minute Bristow had a shot saved by keeper Sharman which ensured Basildon went in at half-time with a slender advantage.
- 1 Contractor appointed for new enterprise centre
- 2 Dunmow Cricket Club announces new sponsor
- 3 Garden of remembrance opens, part funded by Captain Sir Tom Moore fund
- 4 Here's what you can do from May 17 as Covid restrictions ease
- 5 Deadline week for Stansted planners amid latest appeal
- 6 Dunmow sign writer's traditional skills are a hit
- 7 Stick to the paths while bluebells bloom, says Essex Wildlife Trust
- 8 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 9 Numbers seeking support double - can you help Uttlesford foodbank?
- 10 Dunmow councillors to devise climate action plan
Takeley drew level two minutes into the second half. Alex Martin was fouled on the edge of the box and Michael Kennedy sent the resulting free-kick into the net.
Both sides had chances to take the lead, but it was Basildon who scored the winner after 72 minutes when Bocking picked up a loose ball and fired past James May.
Takeley host Burnham Ramblers tonight (Thursday) and visit Clapton on Saturday.