Takeley again secure the bragging rights
- Credit: Archant
Duncan Easley’s Takeley claimed the derby bragging rights again over Stansted, managed by his old pal Paul Attfield.
Easley, who was Attfield’s number two at Royston Town before the pair took their current roles with Essex Senior League outfits, saw his team secure a 2-1 away League Challenge Cup win on Tuesday at Hargrave Park Stadium takes to Greig Taylor’s penalty and Matt Standen’s late winner.
The side from Station Road will next face either Haringey Borough or Ilford in the next round.
It was the second time in 10 days that Takeley had defeated their near neighbours, they claimed a 3-0 league win over Stansted on November 15.
On Saturday Takeley were defeated 1-0 by Premier Division league leaders Haringey Borough.
In a close game the only goal was a contentious one which came on the stroke of half-time for the hosts.
Borough’s Daniel Aristidou picked up the ball from what seemed an offside position, rounded keeper Sam Haywood scored.
- 1 Plans unveiled for 22 new Hatfield Broad Oak homes
- 2 Plan to ease congestion at M11 junction 8 gets underway
- 3 Braintree burglary sparks Essex Police appeal
- 4 Dunmow St Mary's pupils scoop 14 medals in school sport series
- 5 Uttlesford District Council row over £4m 'black hole'
- 6 Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up announced for Hylands Park
- 7 Environmental action: Dunmow boutique Wardrobe holding eco-swap
- 8 Great Dunmow man jailed for 14 years
- 9 Care home visitor limits to be lifted next week
- 10 Firefighters rescue curious cat from Great Notley drainpipe
Aristidou was not flagged by the out of position assistant referee and the goal stood.
Takeley responded well after the break and Greig Taylor twice stuck the post for them in the second half as they looked to draw level.
Takeley had further scoring opportunities, but Alex Martin and Aaron Harriett were both denied by fine stops from Borough keeper Ashley Harris.
Jason Beck was sent-off late on for picking up a second yellow card as Takeley fell to a narrow defeat.
Takeley travel to Tower Hamlets in the league on Saturday.