Swimming: Dunmow Atlantis put in “exceptional” performances at Essex league gala in Harlow
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow Atlantis Swimming Club (DASC) travelled to Harlow for the second round of the Essex league gala – and once again with some exceptional performances.
And that despite having a depleted squad, with main swimmers Meghan Maybanks, Josh Smith and Rebecca Watt, as well as head coach Steve Turner, selected to be part of the Essex squad for the Bedfordshire Inter-Counties Gala on the same night. Essex finished first.
In Harlow, 41 personal bests and 13 club records were set – and fourth place overall ahead of Chelmsford and Epping Forest. Harlow Penguins came first overall.
DASC had a strong start in the 11-and-under freestyle relays with the girls finishing fourth and the boys second.
DASC then kick-started their night with two victories in the 50m fly, from Becki Warner and Jamie McLaughlin.
You may also want to watch:
A notable third place for Becca Maybanks in the 15-and-under 100m breast kept the scoreboard ticking over, before Sam Dack took second place in the 11-and-under boys 50m freestyle. The girls open IM relay of Nicole Stanton, Gemma Bennett, Becki Warner and Sarah Edwards took second place, taking a huge chunk off the club record.
DASC fought hard in the middle section of the gala. Louis Spong took third in the 15-and-under 100m freestyle, and Abbie Hart second in the open 100m backstroke.
- 1 'That's more like it' roars Takeley's John Hedges after comfortable win in pro fight number two
- 2 Residents urged to have their say in housing consultation
- 3 No 11th hour reprieve for Finchingfield homes plan
- 4 Dogs seized and three arrested following police operation on Braintree Road, Dunmow
- 5 Two charged in connection with Dunmow burglary
- 6 Doorbell crimes in Thaxted see one ‘ripped off’ before suspect flees
- 7 Woman taken to hospital after serious accident between Takeley and Dunmow
- 8 Great Easton pub sells at auction
- 9 Rise in dog thefts during lockdown, says charity
- 10 April 12: Five pub gardens and five shops you can visit in Uttlesford
The 11-and-under boys returned to the pool in the IM relay to finish second.
Bennett took third place in the open girls 100m breaststroke, and Hart stepped up again to take first place in the 50 fly. Chloe Moloney won the 11-and-under 50m back and Dack took second place in the 50m back.
The 15-and-under girls took another great victory in their 4x50m freestyle relay. McLaughlin then claimed victory in the 100m free before Moloney stormed to victory in the 50m breaststroke.
The girls’ open freestyle relay team of Becki Warner, Sarah Edwards, Nicole Stanton and Rosie Musgrove were just beaten at the final touch, and the boys’ team of George Simmons, Matthew McLaughlin, Louis Spong and Jamie McLaughlin took a creditable third place.
Finally, the squadron team of Moloney, Dack, Lauren Barker, Callum Whelan, Becca Maybanks, Louis Spong, Warner and McLaughlin finished second.
DASC club spokesman Darren Dack said: “A great big thank you goes out to all the swimmers, coaches, helpers and parents who without their support this club would not be reaching such a level of success.”
• If your business would like to be a DASC sponsor for the year contact the club via dunmowatlantis.co.uk