Sudden death shoot-out delight for Dunmow United Colts
- Credit: Archant
Dunmow United Colts U17s took victory, via a sudden death penalty shoot-out, to lift the Blackwater and Dengie League Division One Cup in a dramatic final against Coggeshall Town Blacks.
United started the encounter well, but Town were strong in set-piece situations and led 2-1 at the break.
Dunmow raised their game in the second half and dominated play.
The pressure finally paid off as they forced an equaliser.
Neither side could find the winning goal so the game went to extra-time.
You may also want to watch:
United continued to push for victory and the Coggeshall Town keeper made an outstanding save to deny United the win at that stage.
As the final minutes were played out both sides became more cautious, not wanting to concede, and so the final was settled on penalties.
- 1 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 2 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 3 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 Essex A&E waiting times: fears raised about winter as 'NHS really struggling'
- 9 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 10 Be there for seasonal Apple and Bees Day at the Gardens of Easton Lodge
Both sides were clinical as the keepers couldn’t get near the well-struck penalties and at 5-5 it went to sudden death.
Finally it was Town who missed the target and United were deserved winners.
Credit was given to Coggeshall Town for a battling performance, but it was Dunmow’s day.