Striders struggle in opening races
Saffron Striders had to battle hard as stormy weather created tough conditions for the first two races of the cross country season. Last year s wooden spoon winners, Ware Joggers sprung surprise victories in both races while Striders had to fight hard to
Saffron Striders had to battle hard as stormy weather created tough conditions for the first two races of the cross country season.
Last year's wooden spoon winners, Ware Joggers sprung surprise victories in both races while Striders had to fight hard to claim third place in the opening race in Ware, but were forced down into fourth at the Harlow event.
Chris Dodge and Janet Lipski finished as the first Striders in the men's and the women's section of the first race, respectively claiming second and fifth positions overall.
Cross Country debutantes Monica Krylander and Janet Bradshaw produced great runs which, when combined with the 12th and 13th place achieved by Kate Holden and Margit Wendelberger-James, gave the Striders' Ladies third spot.
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Long and Nigel Coates took top 20 positions, with Danny Collins, John James and Toby Lumsden finishing in the top 30.
Paul Burgess, Rob Woodward and John Howe completed the team which took third place in the men's competition.
- 1 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 2 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 3 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 7 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 8 Essex A&E waiting times: fears raised about winter as 'NHS really struggling'
- 9 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 10 Be there for seasonal Apple and Bees Day at the Gardens of Easton Lodge
The second race of the season was on an easier but muddier course in Harlow.
Bradshaw and Krylander again starred for the women's team along with Lucy
Stebbings who crossed the line as the first Strider.
Chris Dodge was the first male Strider to finish, but despite good support from Gavin Long (9th), Stephane Toussenel (13th), Nigel Coates (16th) Danny Collins (24th), Toby Lumsden (30th), Andy Bryant (45th) and John Howe (79th), Striders slumped to last place.
# Claire Waters joined ex Strider and now Hong Kong resident Ros Barker for the Hong Kong Half Marathon.
Ros was second female and Claire put in a great run to finish as the 11th woman in a field of over 1700.