Striders struggle in opening races
Saffron Striders had to battle hard as stormy weather created tough conditions for the first two races of the cross country season. Last year s wooden spoon winners, Ware Joggers sprung surprise victories in both races while Striders had to fight hard to
Saffron Striders had to battle hard as stormy weather created tough conditions for the first two races of the cross country season.
Last year's wooden spoon winners, Ware Joggers sprung surprise victories in both races while Striders had to fight hard to claim third place in the opening race in Ware, but were forced down into fourth at the Harlow event.
Chris Dodge and Janet Lipski finished as the first Striders in the men's and the women's section of the first race, respectively claiming second and fifth positions overall.
Cross Country debutantes Monica Krylander and Janet Bradshaw produced great runs which, when combined with the 12th and 13th place achieved by Kate Holden and Margit Wendelberger-James, gave the Striders' Ladies third spot.
You may also want to watch:
Gavin Long and Nigel Coates took top 20 positions, with Danny Collins, John James and Toby Lumsden finishing in the top 30.
Paul Burgess, Rob Woodward and John Howe completed the team which took third place in the men's competition.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
The second race of the season was on an easier but muddier course in Harlow.
Bradshaw and Krylander again starred for the women's team along with Lucy
Stebbings who crossed the line as the first Strider.
Chris Dodge was the first male Strider to finish, but despite good support from Gavin Long (9th), Stephane Toussenel (13th), Nigel Coates (16th) Danny Collins (24th), Toby Lumsden (30th), Andy Bryant (45th) and John Howe (79th), Striders slumped to last place.
# Claire Waters joined ex Strider and now Hong Kong resident Ros Barker for the Hong Kong Half Marathon.
Ros was second female and Claire put in a great run to finish as the 11th woman in a field of over 1700.