Striders don’t Wobble at jog
Several Saffron Striders took on the challenge of the weirdly named Wibbly Wobbly Log Jog on Friday. This is a testing five mile run through Thetford Forest, where the runners negotiate sharp turns on an undulating mix of gravel trails, tree tunnels and
Several Saffron Striders took on the challenge of the weirdly named Wibbly Wobbly Log Jog on Friday.
This is a testing five mile run through Thetford Forest, where the runners negotiate sharp turns on an undulating mix of gravel trails, tree tunnels and narrow paths.
Veteran runner John Howe was the first Strider to cross the finish line closely followed by Carole Wigley and then Frank Haynes.
Further afield, Paul Burgess and Gavin Long attempted the Milland Valley Trail Race for the third consecutive year.
Once again, the runners had to cope with intense sunshine on the South Downs in this tough 21km race. Long shot off from the gun but failed to hold on and with just 1500m to go, Burgess caught and then passed his Saffron Striders team-mate.
Both runners achieved significant improvements on last year's time, with Burgess knocking a staggering 12 minutes off his 2006 time.
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 3 New speed check groups to start: Rayne duo share experiences
- 4 243 Takeley homes granted outline approval despite concerns
- 5 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 6 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 7 Man dies at the scene of A120 'incident'
- 8 Dunmow pilots airlift medical aid to help Ukraine
- 9 Great Dunmow's Soapbox Race's thrills and spills in pictures
- 10 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
Entries are coming in thick and fast for the Saffron Walden 10K race on Sunday September 30.
Further information and entry forms are available from the website www.saffronstriders.org.uk, from Runnerway in Cromwell Road or by calling John Howe on 01799 500109.