Steve’s all-White at Borrowdale race
Saffron Strider Steve White impressed at the Borrowdale Fell Race – one of the toughest events on the calendar. It is so tough that only experienced fell runners are allowed to enter and there is a strict cut-off time which is enforced if you fail to neg
Saffron Strider Steve White impressed at the Borrowdale Fell Race - one of the toughest events on the calendar.
It is so tough that only experienced fell runners are allowed to enter and there is a strict cut-off time which is enforced if you fail to negotiate two thirds of the course within a pre-determined time.
The runners have to ascend more than 5500 feet as they negotiate a route which takes in some of the Lake District's most famous peaks, including Scafell Pike, Great Gable and Dalehead.
Despite the rain and the poor visibility on the peaks, White battled through to break four hours for the 15 mile course, finshing in 3hr 59min 24sec.
You may also want to watch:
"I disappeared down a few bogs, sometimes above the knee, but there were plenty of soft landings so I managed to avoid injury," he said.
"The descent from Dale Head was an absolute killer at first as it was rocky, steep and slippy - not fun.
- 1 Picture gallery: Spot yourself at Finchingfield 2021 three-legged race
- 2 Blue-green algae proves fatal for Doctor's Pond fish
- 3 Man admits to causing death by dangerous driving after B184 collision
- 4 Spitfires and more... IWM Duxford prepares for 2021 Battle of Britain Air Show
- 5 M11 targeted in week of motorway protests
- 6 Reporter wins award for Uttlesford news articles
- 7 Astronomy: What to look for in the sky this September
- 8 Essex A&E waiting times: fears raised about winter as 'NHS really struggling'
- 9 Felsted collision: Motorcyclist seriously injured
- 10 Be there for seasonal Apple and Bees Day at the Gardens of Easton Lodge