Steve’s all-White at Borrowdale race
Saffron Strider Steve White impressed at the Borrowdale Fell Race – one of the toughest events on the calendar. It is so tough that only experienced fell runners are allowed to enter and there is a strict cut-off time which is enforced if you fail to neg
Saffron Strider Steve White impressed at the Borrowdale Fell Race - one of the toughest events on the calendar.
It is so tough that only experienced fell runners are allowed to enter and there is a strict cut-off time which is enforced if you fail to negotiate two thirds of the course within a pre-determined time.
The runners have to ascend more than 5500 feet as they negotiate a route which takes in some of the Lake District's most famous peaks, including Scafell Pike, Great Gable and Dalehead.
Despite the rain and the poor visibility on the peaks, White battled through to break four hours for the 15 mile course, finshing in 3hr 59min 24sec.
You may also want to watch:
"I disappeared down a few bogs, sometimes above the knee, but there were plenty of soft landings so I managed to avoid injury," he said.
"The descent from Dale Head was an absolute killer at first as it was rocky, steep and slippy - not fun.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
- 10 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?