Stebbing Tennis Club enjoy an ace summer
- Credit: Archant
It has been an incredibly successful summer for Stebbing Tennis Club after achieving wins in various leagues and tournaments.
Firstly, the men’s first team finished top in the Men’s Premier division of the Essex Small Clubs league fighting off competition from rival clubs in the local Essex area.
The team consisted of Stephen Davies, James Walthew, Tom Sim, Jacob McDowall and Josh McDowall.
There was more success in the Essex Small Clubs League one day tournament.
Father and son team Stephen Davies and James Walthew finished top in the men’s doubles, Jude Walthew and Erika Tauton took victory in the ladies and Keith Chapman and Jan Sims achieved some fantastic results against strong teams in the mixed.
You may also want to watch:
For the first time since entering the tournament Stebbing Tennis Club finished first overall and took home the trophy for the club as overall champions.
The final high of the season was in the Hospital Cup Championship.
- 1 Creamfields announces new electronic music festival for Chelmsford, Essex, in 2022
- 2 Former Felsted schoolboy who broke back twice wins Tokyo bronze
- 3 Essex BMX star wins Olympic gold
- 4 Ipswich man charged in connection with Cheshunt rail incident
- 5 Gold filling 'worth about £50' found in Tesco granola squares pack
- 6 Cows rescued after A120 collision
- 7 Uttlesford action against speeding and anti-social behaviour
- 8 Beth Shriever talks Tokyo: 'I'm proof that you can make it'
- 9 Dog whose owner moved away without her is featured on TV
- 10 £7.5 million cash package sought for new A120 business park
The tournament is an inter-club knock out, which dates back to the 1940s.
All proceeds from the competition go to The League of Friends of Saffron Walden Community Hospital.
There are men’s and ladies’ singles, men’s and ladies’ doubles and mixed events, with a finals day held on the second Saturday in September each year.
It was a family affair in the final of the mixed doubles.
Husband and wife team James and Jude Walthew from Stebbing lost in the mixed finals 7-5, 7-5 to brother and sister Joe and Ruby Hollis from Stansted.
Tom Sim however managed to lift Stebbing’s sprints by winning the men’s singles 7-5, 7-5 in a closely contested final against Mike Cosgrove from Clavering Tennis Club.
If you are interested in joining Stebbing Tennis Club or to find out about individual, group or junior coaching on offer please contact Jude Walthew via email on jude firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 07825 169249.