Stanway up to third as they come out on top against Woodbridge
- Credit: Archant
Stanway Rovers 3 Woodbridge Tn 1
It was fourth against fifth at the start of play at the Hawthorns as the home side scored two goals in the second half to take the points.
Carlos Edwards' penalty for the Woodpeckers made it 1-1 and the away side created some good chances throughout the match.
But this was Stanway's game and they moved up to third in the table, as the Peckers slipped down to seventh.
Tyler Kemp's cross was well held by away keeper Alfie Stronge after four minutes, while George Bowman's free kick was headed for a corner by the home defence after.
You may also want to watch:
Taylor Southgate's through ball found Ryan Keeble but his cross was blocked for a corner.
A minute later Bowman's powerful effort was tipped onto the bar by home keeper Daniel Wheeler.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
Edwards' pass after 16 minutes was met by Jake Rudge and his shot was parried for a corner by Wheeler, while Rudge's shot went inches wide of the post after 21 minutes as the visitors started well.
But after 27 minutes Kemp's unstoppable shot from 20 yards beat Stronge and it was 1-0.
The Woodpeckers were awarded a penalty after 34 minutes after a foul on Rudge by left back Chris Haynes-Brown, Edwards stepped up and made no mistake with the spot kick to make it 1-1 at the break.
Kemp's effort was off target after 48 minutes for the hosts but after 57 minutes Danny Cunningham's corner was headed in by home captain Jon Carver and it was 2-1.
Jamie Shaw's effort missed the target after 65 minutes and from Edwards' accurate cross was met by Callum Sinclair and his shot tested Wheeler.
Edwards' cross after 70 minutes was headed on target by Rudge and Cunningham's free kick hit the bar after 71 minutes for the hosts.
But after 76 minutes home substitute Jordan Blackwell netted from close range to make it 3-1 and a minute later Shaw's shot tested Stronge.
Bowman's last minute free kick went just over the bar and the teams meet again in two weeks in the FA Vase third round at Notcutts Park.
Stanway: Wheeler, O'Reilly, Haynes-Brown, Cunningham, Carver (Capt), Grimes, Kemp, Baker, Garrett, Shaw, Andrews, Subs: Blackwell. Gilbert, Phillips. Dutch, Nydam.
Woodbridge: Stronge, Rea (Capt), Hammond, Edwards, Southgate, Bowman, Sinclair, Trotter, Rudge, Churchyard, Keeble, Subs: Read for Keeble 73 Mins, Haste for Edwards 87 Mins, Murrell for Rea 87 Mins, Unused: Scopes.
Referee: Elliott Kaye
Assistants: Steven Marr, Reece Pinchback.