Spring Shield played out at Gosfield Lake Golf Club
- Credit: Archant
The Easter Bank Holiday is the traditional start of the mixed pairs golf competitions at Gosfield Lake Golf Club.
The organisers, Margaret and Roger Byford, were pleased with the large turnout despite many regular couples being absent on the long holiday weekend.
The majority of the 28 pairs were married couples who always play together and other pairs who prefer not to play together.
The weather was mild following the wet and windy early spring and some excellent scores were returned by the pairs.
Each bank holiday event has a different format and the Spring Shield competition comprise six holes foursome, six holes greensome and six holes betterball.
You may also want to watch:
The best foursomes score went to Keith and Ann Barke, best greensome score was won by Mike Walsh and Barbara French and the best betterball went to Derek and Judy Pryke.
The nearest the pin prizes were dominated by the Parnell family, with Steven Parnell nearest the pin on the eighth hole and Sandra winning on the 17th hole.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 4 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 5 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 6 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 7 Felsted announces STEM competition winners
- 8 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
Sponsor of the event was club vice-president and past captain, Chris Green, who presented the trophy and prizes.
The overall Spring Shield winners were Ralph Rowe and Jackie Henley with 37 points.
In second place was Malachy Shields, the 2015 club captain, and his partner Georgina Penketh who was last year’s lady captain on 33 points on countback from Steve and Sandra Parnell.
Following refreshments and the presentation everyone is looking forward to another bank holiday competition in May.