Seconds motor past Vanguards
Saffron Walden II 8 Cambridge Vanguards 5 Saffron Walden Rugby Club seconds progressed to the second round of Cambridgeshire Junior Cup after a victory over Cambridge Vanguards on Saturday. The game kicked off in atrocious conditions with driving rain bl
Saffron Walden II 8
Cambridge Vanguards 5
Saffron Walden Rugby Club seconds progressed to the second round of Cambridgeshire Junior Cup after a victory over Cambridge Vanguards on Saturday.
The game kicked off in atrocious conditions with driving rain blowing across the pitch, but Walden took the lead after 10 minutes when Nick Dawson kicked a great penalty.
You may also want to watch:
However, Cambridge fought back and took the lead after 30 minutes. The winger dropped the ball crossing the line, but the supporting centre pounced on the loose ball and the referee awarded the try.
With the weather in the second half getting steadily worse, Walden had to show grit and determination to hold out and occasionally some good kicks by man of the match fly-half Nick Dawson turned defence into attack.
- 1 There's a rainbow in the woods outside Thaxted
- 2 Grange Farm & Dunmow Runners delighted to be back at actual races
- 3 Pay It Forward brings joy to Dunmow community
- 4 Standing for election for a seat on Essex County Council on May 6, 2021
- 5 Delight at repairs grant which will also support specialist building trade
- 6 Survey reveals Uttlesford fears of fourth national Covid lockdown
- 7 Felsted announces STEM competition winners
- 8 Maisie the schnoodle returns to care home after year of 'fur'-lough
- 9 Dunmow's Flitch and Chips named as one of the UK's 10 best
- 10 Bar staff smash £1,000 target in charity challenge
In the last quarter of the match Walden looked most likely to score and so it proved with five minutes of the game remaining.
With Walden attacking in the visitors 22, Dawson kicked through and Tom McPartlan picked the ball up a metre out to touch down to give the hosts the lead.
Cambridge tried to come back in the last few minutes, but Walden's defence held firm taking them into the next round.