Seconds motor past Vanguards
Saffron Walden II 8 Cambridge Vanguards 5 Saffron Walden Rugby Club seconds progressed to the second round of Cambridgeshire Junior Cup after a victory over Cambridge Vanguards on Saturday. The game kicked off in atrocious conditions with driving rain bl
Saffron Walden II 8
Cambridge Vanguards 5
Saffron Walden Rugby Club seconds progressed to the second round of Cambridgeshire Junior Cup after a victory over Cambridge Vanguards on Saturday.
The game kicked off in atrocious conditions with driving rain blowing across the pitch, but Walden took the lead after 10 minutes when Nick Dawson kicked a great penalty.
However, Cambridge fought back and took the lead after 30 minutes. The winger dropped the ball crossing the line, but the supporting centre pounced on the loose ball and the referee awarded the try.
With the weather in the second half getting steadily worse, Walden had to show grit and determination to hold out and occasionally some good kicks by man of the match fly-half Nick Dawson turned defence into attack.
- 1 Bardfield cottage transformed into scrumptious-looking gingerbread house for Christmas
- 2 Olympic gold medallist Beth Shriever switches on Finchingfield's Christmas tree lights
- 3 Parishes join forces to oppose 'unsustainable' housing idea near Hatfield Heath
- 4 First Sunday in December marked with Live Nativity in Great Dunmow
- 5 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 6 Essex buildings are lit up in green for awareness campaign
- 7 Uttlesford elects its first female leader in council's 47-year history
- 8 Man arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences at Stansted Airport
- 9 'Massive' headliners set to be announced for Creamfields South Chelmsford 2022 line-up
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
In the last quarter of the match Walden looked most likely to score and so it proved with five minutes of the game remaining.
With Walden attacking in the visitors 22, Dawson kicked through and Tom McPartlan picked the ball up a metre out to touch down to give the hosts the lead.
Cambridge tried to come back in the last few minutes, but Walden's defence held firm taking them into the next round.