Saffrom battle to a win
Saffron Walden U-18 4 Tunbridge Wells 3 Saffron Walden showed their battling capabilities by clawing back a 3-1 deficit to defeat the Kent champions in the last minute of a pulsating National Cup tie. Tunbridge threatened to score straight from the start,
Saffron Walden U-18 4 Tunbridge Wells 3
Saffron Walden showed their battling capabilities by clawing back a 3-1 deficit to defeat the Kent champions in the last minute of a pulsating National Cup tie.
Tunbridge threatened to score straight from the start, but strong defending kept Walden in the game and it was they who eventually broke the deadlock through Tilly Sleven after excellent approach work from Charlotte Huson and Emma Knight.
This goal shocked the Tunbridge team into overdrive and they raced through to a 3-1 lead with incisive passing and an excellent strike from a short corner.
You may also want to watch:
Katherine Langridge hauled the Walden team back into the match just before half-time with a superb individual goal running 30 yards and rounding the keeper to score.
Walden fought valiantly to get themselves back into the game in the second half, and finally drew level with 10 minutes to go when Suzanne Holmes and Kate O'Sullivan combined well to forge an opening for Tilly Sleven to equalise.
- 1 New cycle network consultation announced
- 2 Uttlesford District Council chief executive is stepping down
- 3 Prison sentence extended for man involved in Dunmow attack
- 4 Dunmow Cricket Club at 125 years and launch of Project Pavilion
- 5 The Stansted couple on an #HDHike for Huntington's disease
- 6 Local Elections 2021: Essex County Council results for Uttlesford
- 7 Things to do in May: Open Day for Gardens of Easton Lodge
- 8 Outgoing mayor reflects on 'a Covid year' in office as he steps down
- 9 Is former Love Island star Carl Woods moving to Bardfield?
- 10 Lockdown eases: new mayor and new Priest join drive-in concert
Walden sealed the victory in the last minute after Claire Pearce cleared and Katherine Langridge slipped the ball through for O'Sullivan to net the winner.
- Saffron Walden Ladies first team kept up their winning run with a 5-2 victory over Sudbury seconds on Saturday, however the fourths didn't do quite so well, slipping to a 1-0 defeat against Stevenage fourths.
The men's first team were beaten 7-2 by Harleston Magpies, but the seconds fared better, defeating Maldon & lt Baddow 3-2.
However the fourths lost 2-1 to Harlow seconds and the fifths 3-1 to Wapping sixths. The sevenths beat O L Woodsmen 2-1.