Running: Dunmow runners join village festivities
- Credit: Archant
More than 1,200 runners took part in the Hatfield Broad Oak 10km road race on Monday.
The race was won by Paul Whittacker of Southend-on-Sea AC in 31mins 1sec.
Grange Farm and Dunmow Runners (GFDR) was represented by 25 runners. Fastest was Paul McKenna in 39mins 57secs, closely followed by Jason Wintin (40mins 23secs), David Spencer (40mins 52secs) and Dan Reynolds (41mins 25secs).
Steve Cantle finished in 43mins 6secs, followed by Stuart Warwick (44mins 10secs), Ian Lawson (44mins 21secs), Neil Rumbold (45mins 41secs) and Simon Singleton (45mins 56secs).
Claudine Davie (46mins 5secs) led home the GFDR’s women, just ahead of Jo Bisset-Smith (46mins 50secs).
John Smith (47mins) was followed by James Maples (47mins 57secs), James Hawkes (48mins) and Simon King (49mins 34secs).
Hayley Smith (49mins 38secs), GFDR’s third woman, was followed by Jeanette Hartley (52mins 49secs), Gavin Foster (55mins 41secs) and Diane Hill (57mins 46secs).
- 1 RideLondon 5 year plan: 900 object to district road closures
- 2 Great Dunmow and High Easter take centre stage as Women's Tour of Britain hits town
- 3 Home county tenant exodus drives up London rents
- 4 New Mayors and deputies in Saffron Walden and Great Dunmow
- 5 Met Office weather: Yellow storm and flood warning for East of England
- 6 High Easter hit magnificent seven after second-half goal blitz
- 7 A giant snail, sporting success and other school news
- 8 Voting together: Lib Dems and Greens join forces
- 9 From meat in supermarkets to beer in pubs - what is getting more expensive?
- 10 Hannah Mortier returns to boxing to raise awareness of the fight against domestic violence
The Pomfret family was led home by Simon (58mins 21secs), followed by daughter Jess (60mins 14secs) and wife Jane (60mins 34secs). Janet Price finished in 61mins 36secs, ahead of Sandra Smith (62mins 39secs) and Richard Percy (71mins 48secs).
• Meanwhile, on Saturday, GFDR organised a 4-mile cross-country race from Felsted to Leez Priory and back, as part of Felsted School’s 450 year celebrations.
The event was won by Tom Jenner in 30mins 54secs, with GFDR’s Steve Downing (34mins 35secs) second and Peter Hall (35mins 41secs) third.
Fastest female was Roz Smith (38mins 23secs) followed by Marielle Dorset (38mins 54secs) and GFDR’s Charlotte King (39mins 42secs).
GFDR will be holding a 7.5-mile trail race from the Saracen’s Head, Great Dunmow, on Sunday, June 8.